Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Sting Signature Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PilbaraBass, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Who owns one? How do they play, sound, feel? How do they stack up vs. the original '52 P's?

What about that vintage dual saddle bridge?

If you have photos....by all means, show 'em...

I've been GASing major for one of these. Trouble is, I'll probably have little or no chance to test drive one.

I caught Mr. Sting himself on the tele the other night with his '52 and it looked very used, very cool and sounded Sa-WEET!

2. Am I the only one here who digs early '50s P-basses?

From the reviews I've been reading, people really like the Sting Sig Bass.

I also want to know how the sound of that single coil pickup compares to a vintage split coil.

3. There's nothing wrong with meat and potatoes...sounds like my kind of bass.

I'm really not into much of that "biffity-baffity-slap-dang-dooey" style of playing anyway.

Thanks, Joshua

Kez

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I've played one and I like the looks and feel of it. I'm thinking of buying one but I'd have to change that bridge to a Badass. I know it'll take away from what the bass is supposed to convey......vintage, but I just hate that bridge. Maybe even just put a standard 4 saddle bridge on it.

5. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    ive played one too..not much versatility...but lots and ltos and lots of deep bass sound...very good for holding a low groove :)

6. Sounds like it do what a P-bass do...

oooooooooooooooooooooooo...here comes another G.A.S. attack!

7. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I have played one and I absolutely dont like it It doesnt play smoothe the sound isnt great and I think its ugly. Their are other things I didnt like about it that I justt couldnt put my finger on I would go for a regular p bass if I where you

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I've played one.
    Nice big neck.
    Very good old school tone.
    A one trick pony, but a nice trick.
    Cool bass for the money.

9. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I played one at GC about six months ago. The setup/action were unbelieveable! The build quality was also very impressive. (I believe they are made in Japan.) I have to agree that it's definitely made to groove with, however I was able to get some decent slap and pop happening. I would have bought it on the spot, but my wife would have been "somewhat annoyed." :(

10. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Well, I bought mine solely for the looks, intending on doing a little upgrade work.

Initially, the PUP had weak output and large volume differences between the strings. The bridge is weak looking. The tuners are very cheap. and don't work well.

First thing I did was replace the PUP with an identical Seymore duncan SC-1 vintage style.

Now, the sound is beefy....deeper then a P bass.

The bass itself is beautiful. I don't like the signature, however!

it is made of two pieces of ash, possible swamp ash.

I bought bridge and PUP covers, though they are modern P style, not vintage...oh well, most non bass players would never know the difference, and the original style was too big. I stuffed foam in the bridge, to mute the strings, and of course, this bass needs flatwounds for the proper vibe.

When I am not using my upright, I use this bass for most everything else. This bass is great for earlier styles of music, but is not quiet as versatile for anything modern, INMHO.

I would describe the sound as "round" , but adding mids and backing off the bass on your amp can result in a good early motown sound.

The rest of the bass is pretty well made, and stamped with "crafter in japan" on the lower neck.

I use this bass quite a bit.

Eventually I plan to replace the bridge with a standard P bridge, then change out the tuners with Hipshot classics, and get a bone nut.

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    This is essentially just the old Fender Japan '54 Reissue with an inlay added.

The biggest problem is the bridge, which is a relatively accurate copy of the primitive original (as are the reverse machine heads), and has problems with both design and placement. It can be made to work, but it takes some doing. I've got mine sorted out. I would not consider switching to an aftermarket bridge.

The '55-style pickup is fine, though vulnerable to damage. Many people who have "upgraded" it to the SD have switched back. According to some vintage SCPB experts, the '55 that comes with the Sting is extremely close to the original vintage pickup. Being a single-coil, it will produce a substantial 60Hz hum under typical playing conditions.

For all its limitations due to vintage design, it's still a far better built bass than anything coming out of Corona or Ensenada, that's for sure. Excellent neck and fret detailing, high buff-out.

I've written quite a bit about this bass here. Run a search for my posts that discuss a lot more details.

I have a lot of basses, but this one is my #1 player, strung with 9050Ms.

12. They seem a bit too 'bare bones' to me. There was one in the local shop for a while. I never tried it tho. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

13. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    My take on the PUp is that Seymor D, who trained with Abigail Ybarra, made that vintage PUP almost exactly like the original..

Now, I visually a/b'd them, and the original was a cheap piece of crap. The SD was way more substantial looking.

If the PUP had sounded great, I would not have traded it out. Here is what I noticed with the original PUP, compared to the replacement:

When rolling the tone to "open", the bass frequency dissapeared! In fact, the sound was quite ugly that way.

With the new PUP, it's motown/stax/volt city!!

I am not the kind of person to change a PUP for no reason. It could be that the one I had originally was a dud, however. On the stahndard MIM Jazz bass I got, my MIMJazz PUPs were "ok"....as soon as I got Lindy Fralins, though...I noticed a huge difference!

I think there is something to be said about after market PUPs...I mean, try comparing a MIA P-bass with a 3000 dollar Bob Glaub Lakland p-bass, and I think you would see that there is some improvement in tone with the BG.

One more thing. According to the last fender catalogue, the difference between the Sting and the Custom shop or time machine series pre'57 P basses is that they use "premium ash" instead of "ash" and the tuners and PUPs are different.

14. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I owned one for about 8 months. I liked the construction quite a bit. I admit that I am a sucker for MIJ Fenders and The Sting was no disapointment. My biggest complaint was with the overly-think neck. It was like a baseball bat and hard on my hands. I also did not like the fretboard signature inlay. I thought that was silly. It was sacrificed for GAS.

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I like everybody's comments. I pretty much like the aesthetics of the bass but wish it was more modern in construction and sound (judging from the comments here). If I did pull the string on one, I most assuredly would upgrade it! Why even make the Sting almost identical to the reissue with the just a signature added. Why not just make a modern version of an old hat? Just my opinion.

16. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Because the FJ '54RI was never imported previously and the Fender Artist Relations department was supplying Sting with relic '53/'54 RI customs which were quite similar to the FJ '54s.

Everyone hates the inlay, but Fender PR told me that part of the deal was for some money to go to some nonprofit of Sting's choice on these.