Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Sting Signature Telecaster

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mccoyblues, Oct 30, 2002.

1. mccoyblues

mccoyblues

Sep 24, 2002
    Atlanta GA
    Any one with comments on this bass? I've always loved the Tele bass and now that MARS is going under it looks like I can pick one up for a reasonable price. If you have played one, own one or checked one out and have any comments, I'd appreciate hearing them.
    If you want the B/G on my playing, I play Blues, have a 67 P bass now and an Ampeg SVT amp.

mccoyblues

2. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    there are plenty of thoughts on previous sting threads, but briefly my experience with mine is:

nice bass, great construction, wonderful neck, lightweight, some people have problems with the bridge and saddles for intonation and strings moving on the saddles, some found problems with some e strings being too short, sound is different from standard pbass, hum from single coil pup, stupid inlay, aesthetic variance from matching body wood.

overall, i liked mine--sounded very nice with TI flats--but it didn't get much playing time against my jazz and precision. i think it would sit very well in a blues setting IMHO.

3. I agree that it would sit well in a blues setting, but I doubt its playability in a rock band. However, as i experienced, slapping on this thing is a dream.

4. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    What about modifying a Sting Sig bass?

Is this like a "Collectors' Item" which may appreciate in value if taken well care of?

Yes! A bass should be played, not displayed.

But I'm not happy with the bridge. I'd hate to modify/upgrade/drill to install a better bridge if it will depreciate the value of the bass. What about the original, the one Sting has and plays? Does it still have the same bridge it came with or did he get something better installed?

*Mike Myer's Coffee Talk voice*

"Discuss!"