1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender stock tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DWBass, May 26, 2011.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I did a search and could not come up with anything. Anyway.....I have a 2007 USA Fender Jazz that I got from a TB member. Dunno if it was him or a previous owner but, the stock Fender branded tuners were removed and a set of USA Hipshot tuners installed (dunno why). I would like to put a set of the stock Fender (Hipshot) tuners back on the bass. Where can I get them from? Fender only? Or is there a store I can purchase from?

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Fair warning, once you go Hipshot, you never go back. ;)

3. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I'm confused... where did they go?

4. DWBass

Confused? You must ask the previous owner! ;) The bass came to me this way.

5. DWBass

I thought the Fender tuners were Hipshots??

6. DWBass

7. ajn

ajn Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    You didn't indicate which Hipshot tuners are currently on the bass, but if they are Ultralites, it was probably done to take a half pound of weight off the headstock! (I know because I did the same thing.) For all but the very end of 2007 the "stock" tuners were still the older, larger clamshell version that were built by Schaller, not Hipshot. On that page linked above they would be the ones for the American Series. The more recent, lighter clamshells made by Hipshot would require that you drill 2 new pegholes for each tuner.

8. DWBass

Here's a pic. Not Ultralights. I would have understood if they were. And thanks for clearing a Hipshot vs. Schaller debate for me. Had some Fender 'experts swearing up and down they were Hipshots so I assumed they were.
    [​IMG]

9. ajn

ajn Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Well, those look like they are either the HB1 (for MusicMan, G&L) or the HB5 (for Rics). Either way, if you try to put originals back on there may likely be screw holes exposed. If this was mine, I would just stick with what you've got there--they are are a very good tuner, and are still probably lighter than the originals. If your bass did not come stock with the newer higher mass bridge, it did not have the Hipshot made tuners.

10. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    I have a set of each type of the Fender American Standard tuners if you're interested...the pre-2008 version made by Schaller and the 2008 and later version made by Hipshot.

Mine came off of Fenders that were modded and these have just been laying around, both sets are like new. PM me if you want to discuss.

11. netmics

netmics

Apr 7, 2010
    Hello

I have a Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe 5 string MIM. Do you know if a tuner model from this link can fit on it? I don't like the shape of these Gotoh tuners.....

Bass Parts Resource: Genuine Fender Bass Tuners

Here a picture of the headstock:

IMG_0036.

12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    none of those will fit without surgery, and most not even then.

13. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    +1 the original boat anchors have got to go! it will balance way better without those things on there.

i went with the schaller "boron" lightweights for my '96 P, best thing i ever did for it (aside from the fralin pickup, anyway).

14. netmics

netmics

Apr 7, 2010
    yes, No problem about enlarging the holes, my concern is the clash between tuners. pelase help :(