fender stratocaster bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by elysia_nymph, Dec 30, 2003.

1. elysia_nymph

Dec 30, 2003
    i was just having an argument with some guy on msn messenger about fender stratocaster basses. in my opinion they don't exist, but this other person was insistent. i know fender made baritone stratocaster guitars but other than that i don't have a clue what this person was talking about. do fender stratocaster basses exist? :meh:
    thanks for any help! :)
  2. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Fender has never made a Strat bass, but there are other companies who have made Strat-shaped basses over the years, usually short scale. For example, a little company called Landing makes some now http://www.landingbass.com/ and Hofner made the Model 182 in the 1960s. In most cases, the necks were narrow across, i.e. at the neck pocket they were about Strat width, not Fender bass width, and the string spacing was narrower.
  3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    He might have been talking about the Fender Electric VI.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah those were the cheepest hofner basses on the market today.
  5. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Could be, but that's not Strat-shaped. It's based on the Jaguar and Jazzmaster shapes.
  6. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Yep, but they sound surprisingly good. You still see them around, usually for under $400.
  7. That's what the body for the P-bass was modeled after...slightly larger of course.
  8. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I think Fender did make a stratocaster bass. I've seen pictures, but can't find them right now :p. The body is about the same as a precision bass body, but only has a single neck pickup (not like the '51-'54 Precisions).. I'm pretty sure (not positive) this was the strat bass o_0.
  9. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
  10. Umm...the P-bass came out in 51, and the strat came out 54, so, its the opposite way around.
  11. The body shape may have been the basis of the Strat body, but the overall looks of the Strat were completely different, especially the pickguard. From 51 to around 57, the P-Bass had its original pickguard and single Tele looking pickup, but it then changed to the P we know today. I guess they based the new version of the P on the looks of the Strat, so you're both right in a sense.
  12. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    That sounds right to me too. :bag:
  13. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    He could also be getting it confused with a G&L ASAT, it looks almost identical to a telecaster and made by the same guy...uncle Leo.
  14. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i thought the P was modeled after the tele and the J after the stratÂ…could be wrong, though.
  15. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Or, if you're looking at pickups, the Fender HM bass was strat-ish in that it had 3 skinny pups and a 5-position knife switch.
  16. elysia_nymph

Dec 30, 2003
    never mind, i found out what it is. fender bass VI baritone guitar, looks like a fender jag with 3 pickups, like a strat but with the funny jag switches. thanks anyway!
  17. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    People often call the Bass VI a baritone guitar, but it is not. A baritone guitar is tuned like a guitar, but a fourth or fifth down; the Bass VI is an actual bass, tuned a full octave below a guitar.
  18. Just to keep things straight, IIRC the original '51 Pbass and the Broadcaster g**tar (later renamed Telecaster) both have slab bodies without contours. As mentioned above, the contoured Strat came out in '54. In '57 the Precision took on the contoured shape. The offset Jazz shape came later still ('61-'62 I believe).
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. This is almost as common of a mistake as 'Squire' or 'Rouge'.
  20. americangil

Aug 14, 2008
    Riverside, CA
    they do exist. made in korea. early nineties?