Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Strings 9050M Stainless Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bizzaro, Jun 11, 2005.

1. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Holy crap we are talking some serious tension here. I had to detune twice just to make sure I wasn't up an octave. But I love the tone. And I was surprised to find the slap tone is as good as any, (pop isn't very good though). My G String on this set seems dead? Is it due to the extreme tension? I mean it is really dead. Almost not usable. Does anyone have fender's email? I tried custserv@fender.com. No reply for a week so I am thinking it is not correct. And if it is the right email, I won't be buying any more fender products anytime soon!! I am using them on a bang around bass(SX, that poor neck is going to snap off!!!!) but am thinking of going flat on a bass I use for performing. I really dig the tone. I play mostly classic rock and country. Will flats cut it for rock?? And I am thinking of going Thomastick Infeld because of the tension thing.

Comments, Observations??

2. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Have you tried the fender forum? I had a set of the M's too, i hated the G string, IMO .55 is to large for G strings, My Ernie ball flats have a .50 G string and that is just perfect and you can pop it if you like! Don't know if i answered any question here...

3. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Well, it is the only answer thus far, so it is the best one! No I haven't tried the forum. You have to sign up and stuff. I barely have enough time for my internet play now. And I don't mind fat strings. I like um. But the g just does't ring out like the rest. Really dead!

4. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Yes, flats will cut thru, it depends on your amp and settings etc.

If you want lighter tension then the 9050M's and still want flats, try a set of Ernie ball flats, i have tried them both and the ernie balls is a bit lighter in tension, not a huge difference but there is. If you do a search, you can read alot of facts about the TI flats.

5. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Yea I have searched and that is how I found out about TI's. People just rave about them. And I understand about cutting through a loud guitar mix. I am thinking more in terms of tone and how they will sound in the mix. And I would really like to find out how to contact fender. Are the EB's stainless flats? I tried a set of EB slinkys(round wound) and they came off pretty quick. I am (currently) a dedicated DR low rider user. Thanks for your input. :)

6. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Ask Steve Harris of Iron Maiden about flats cutting through in the mix for rock. He uses Rotosounds, but they are flats none the same!

7. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Yea I was wondering about how many recording artists use flats. I think I am going to give the TI's a shot, even at 60 bucks a set.

8. :cool: You know, Fender makes two other sets that are lighter than the 9050M's. There's the 9050ML's and the 9050L's. I use the 9050L's myself and have never had a problem with them. They still have that great sound and feel, and you can't beat the price.

9. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I use the 9050Ms and I have to say that they can be a little strange both in terms of dead G and "disagreeing" harmonics, which I wouldn't have thought possible if I hadn't experienced it myself.

They're not really top-grade strings, but they're the only flatwound string I've found that will even work on my '54RI/"Sting" bass, due to the peculiarities of that bass in terms of length and diameter requirements.

If you want to try TI's get them from Dude Barr, who is the cheapest source I know of.

10. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    So the g is dead because of the tension?? I usually get my strings at Juststrings, but I will check the dude out. And I really don't think lighter will be less tension, will it.

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I honestly don't know why the G is dead. It is on one set I have and seems less so on another set from the same shipment. :confused:

I'm too cheap to buy TIs, but it's my understanding that they are light years lower tension than the 9050M set (isn't everything?). I think TIs were around $32 or so from Dude last time I looked. Because of his low shipping charges, he beats every other price on the web on a set or two of strings.

The 9050Ls I have on my Music Man have a little less tension than the 9050M set.

12. The TI Jazz Flats are much lower tension. This is either good or bad, a personal decision.

As to more expensive, no. I've had the same set of TI Flats installed since 2000, and they still play great. In the long run, not changing dead strings is much less costly.

I find the 9050M interesting in the high tension, because you can use low action without clank. My TI Flats require a more delicate touch. It is my understanding the 9050M go dead fast. YMMV, but I took them off a MIM J-fretless as soon as it arrived. IMO, not the right string for the fretless sound.

I understand the 9050M are very thumpy, probably do well on a P.

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I don't think TIs will work on the Sting, at least because of the G diameter. Because of the vintage bridgeplate position, only large-diameter Gs will get close to proper intonation before the saddle screws go over the edge onto the wood.

This adjustment limitation is also the case with my '63 Thunderbird II, which I don't want to string with high tension stuff for obvious reasons.

I suspect TIs would work OK on some of my other basses, though.

14. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Thanks for your interest in fender products. Sorry we don't sell singles. Or in other words T. S. It took a week to get a response from Fender and they offered nothing to resolve the situation. Pretty sad for a company of that stature IMO!! :meh: