1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender strings are BAD

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by EthanTheHeathen, Nov 1, 2006.

1. You know, I always thought people were exaggerating when they said how quickly a certain type of string wears out. I figured the differences were small and very hard to notice. On the contrary, Fender proved me wrong. I bought a set of Fender taperwound strings, and they went dead within a couple of weeks. Totally dead. So dead I thought my amp was broken. Seriously. Nobody buy Fender strings!

2. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I like them - mine are much older and still sound fine.

3. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    yup ... I have been using them too, and like them ... have them on 2 of 3 basses currently ... the set on the MIA J is starting to get a bit tired, but its been 2 years and I play it weekly ... and the same will go back on shortly

4. I have Fender Pure Nickles on my P-bass, and they are over a year old and sound perfectly fine...they are still bright enough for grindy rock.

5. Fender's Pure Nickels are awesome... they have the dead roundwound tone. You know, that tone you get after breaking in rounds for months and months.

6. bass.player

bass.player

May 30, 2006
    Belgium
    I use Fender 7250ML's on my Precision for a long time they are great and cheap!

7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I've had a set of 8250's on my Jazz for a few months. Granted, they aren't as zingy as when they were first installed, but they aren't dead by any stretch of the imagination.

But, thanks for the warning......:rolleyes:

8. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    i went from DR's to Fenders.... and IMO the fenders sounded like they were dead from the start compaired to the DR's.... however i since i need to use them 'til i can afford new ones... they've grown on me... but i just thinkg thats because ive gotten used to the sound and dont remember clearly how much better the DR's were.. this is only my second pair of fenders though... that first was a pair of flats. i didnt have a problem with them..

9. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    I tried some 8250's on my Millenium 5+ and didn't like them untill they broke in a little. i think they sound pretty good now.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I love every set of Fender strings I've ever tried.

11. i hate strings that take forever to get rid of that dang clangy sound

12. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I love Fender strings! The pure nickels are the best!

13. I use Fender strings on my P-Basses and love them...I've used them for 20+ years.

14. Wow, I thought at least one or two would agree with me! I guess I just really like bright strings. I'll agree to disagree with you guys. I'm just glad everyone who buys Fender strings doesn't feel ripped off!

15. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

In '78 I tried them on a '71 P, sounded great! then the tape windings (correct term/0 started breaking in a week or so. Possibly a bridge issue (other brands of tapes were no issue)
    In '78 tried them on a Guils JSB-2, sounded great also, after 8-10 gigs the windings started breaking again, but not always at he bridge,. More often at the nut and sometimes in the middle.
    When I chenge the flats off from my current bass (it will be a while) I might give the Fender tapes another go.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

16. Although I like the Fenders, I still like DR Sunbeams the best...Pure Nickle Fenders, 2nd best...it's close though!

17. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    I liked fenders.. Once I used pure nickel fenders and they were pretty good. Then I switched to other brands (d'adario, GHS....) and after some time I bought fenders again but this time nickle plated strings. The g string broke after a week and a half :eek: :confused:. Since than I hate them. The GHS boomers lasted for 6 months while I was slapping them silly.

18. pixelpounder

pixelpounder

Aug 26, 2006
    Chitown area
    Fender 7150's and 8250's work the best for me on my Jazz. Got a set of piramid flats on my Franken Fretless that I like too. But some TB buzz about Chromes and DR flat's has given me a case of gas. :smug:

19. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I also like Fender strings a lot, I really like the sound of their nickels and they can be had relatively cheaply, too.

20. i'll agree w/ the OP. I simply do not care for fender rounds.

But i absolutely love fender flats.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021