fender strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Does any one use these strings? I think they give the right tone but I see so many people loving others. Whats up with that?
  2. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Nobody's ears are the same.

In the search for perfect tone, everybody will end up with something different...at least I think so.
  3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I've used Fender strings in the past, and I thought they were OK strings. There are just other brands that I like better. I'm really liking Ken Smith Burners right now...
  4. I have used 8250 Strings on my american Jazz bass string through body. I also use 9120 strings on my Deluxe zone bass (MIM) They both sound good the 8250's are round wound and sort of bright But they sound good if you like that sound. And the 9120"s are flats and tape wound and sound nice and deep and still have some brightness but not too bright. They are good strings, but there are better strings out there . It is all a matter of what sound you like. try some out and see if you like them.
  5. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I use the 8250s on my MIA Deluxe Jazz V. I like them just fine. For the money they are great strings but yeah there are better strings out there. I believe the 8250s have a round core so they're a bit more flexible than alot of other strings out there. They can be bright at first but dull to a nice mellow tone suitable for rock or jazz. On my bass they seem to have a strong fundamental.

But...as stated before, there are better (and more expensive) strings out there.
  6. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Yeah, I, too, use 8250s on my American Deluxe Jazz. Indeed, there are better strings out there, but I have to be honest, I have sort of "grown to love 'em!".....
  7. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I use 8250's 4's and 5's on my fmt v, Victor bailey and MIA jazz bass. I have also used the 7250's and 7350's on my basses.
  8. MustangBob

May 30, 2005
    I use Super 5250XLs on my Fender Mustang. After 3 months they still have a bright sound and play well.
  9. Well I use 9050L (flats) on my Aerodyne because the P pup is so good. I was thinking of using something a bit heavyer though. maybe same strings but medium or heavy. My Marcus Miller is still Stock strings.
  10. The only Fender strings I've used that I've liked were the Flats, the rest I thought were junk. A lot of stores around here have stopped carrying Fender strings though.
  11. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Here's my assesment, based on Fender strings I've used in the past;

7250 nickel rounds-nice sound, and feel. I liked them.

7350 stainless rounds-nice on active basses, but didn't like them for passive.

9050ML flats-very nice! Nice thump, and feel to them. They were very URB'ish IMHO.

9050M flats-Yuck!!! Felt like bridge cables, and IMHO no life at all. They lasted a very short time.

My favorite strings now are D'addario Chromes, and TI jazz flats. :hyper:
  12. I am using fender superpass nickels on my ibanez, and it sounds really nice imo..... I've tried GHS boomers, and i think they are crap, i didn't like elexir either, d'addario XL's are some pretty decent strings, but they are a little pricey around here.
  13. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

I'm using Superbass 7250's on my Pbass deluxe, and 7150 pure nickels on my jazz basses. All gauges are .40-.100
    I like the sound and feel of the Fender strings a lot, and they're not too expensive.

I've tried others over the years, and find that I like the Fenders a lot. Glad you're liking yours :hyper:
  14. pseek

Jun 17, 2004
    I'm using 7150's on my aerodyne and hoppus bass.
    I've tried other brands and other fender types, but they didn't do it for me. So I stick with what works. And the gold wiring really matches with my aerodyne headstock. :D
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ask 100 people on here what the perfect string is and you will get 100 different answers. To me, it's D'addario XL's and Labella stainless flats. To you it's Fenders. In the end, it doesn't matter.
  16. skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    Personally I'm not a big fan of Fender strings, but I've only tried the Superbass Medium gauge. I used them on my Deluxe Jazz bass, but after trying Rotosound strings I never switched back . . . except for once, when I ran out of Rotosounds and broke a string. :p Anyway, compared to the Rotosounds, the Fender strings sounded too . . . sterile . . . or something. Anyway, I liked Fender strings fine, until I started trying different brands.
  17. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I really did like both the XL's, and the chromes. For the last 20 years, I've used D'addario almost exclusively.

Then, I had a brand new string break as I put it on the bass. Very rare occurance indeed. I contacted D'addario with all the info, to see if they would send a new string.

Well, unlile other manufacturers, they don't just do that! You have to;
    Download a form, and fill it out
    Send all the strings, along with the package-would have left me with no spares(it was a two pack) I had to use the other G string to get by
    Then, after they determine if there even is a problem, they'll replace it-who knows how long that will take?
    All that was from D'addario.

So, I emailed again. I very politely told them that I didn't realize there were so many procedures to follow, and I would keep it mind in the future. Could they please just help me out in the meantime?

They finally sent a new one, saying they would make an exception this time. Of course, they let me know how much this string cost them.

Now, if thats how they want to do things, thats ok-thats their right. I just don't think that it's worth the effort, so i bought something else. I mean, if I was always on them claiming I was breaking strings and wanted new ones, I could see them geting leery. But this was a once in 20 years experience.

Oh well, thats too bad. I really did like their strings....