Fender Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bcarll, Jul 22, 2002.

1. bcarll

Oct 16, 2001
    Anyone have any thoughts and comments on Fender Strings especially the flatwounds?

2. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    I put a set of Fender Stainless flats - the ones that start at .050 on one of my Precisions. I like them. The sound and feel are great and they are in tune. I used to sometimes use a round E with flats (Fender Nickle Wrapped), but with this set it wasn't necessary.
  3. I had 9050M flat stainless on my J fretless. I liked the feel very much, and they stay in tune. High tension and large size. Very comfy to play.

I took them off because I wanted more mwah, so I put on a set of DA EXL-220 nickel rounds. Lots of mwah, but skinny little strings, and they make marks on my finger board.
  4. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    [Jim Carrey voice from Dumb & Dumber on]

I likem alot

[Jim Carrey Voice from Dumb & Dumber off]

Just played a wedding with a lot of oldies this weekend with my P bass and Fender flatwounds. Nice warm vintage sound and they covered up all my bad habits that cause so much string noise.
  5. ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    Fender flats are great. I am very happy with them, and I think they are better than Rotosound flats. Rotosound seems to produce off sounding strings quite often in a set. The fenders stay in tune remarkably well, for some reason.
  6. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    I run Fender superbass on my 'Ray. I love them. Nice and bright, but not obnoxious. Quality is pretty consistant, too.

I'm thinking about throwing some flats on my '76 P bass, and they'll probably be Fenders also.
  7. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    that is such a great personification of the sound alot of people want from their strings!

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I use 9050Ms on almost all my basses - they're great!