Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Stu Hamm Urge Bass II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Atlanta, Jun 6, 2004.

1. I'm looking for some opinions on the Fender Stu Hamm Urge Bass II. It looks like the perfect Fender: 24 Frets, 2 "Noiseless" J-pups and 1 P-pup, active electronics. Looks like it could use a Active/Passive switch and passive tone control, though.

Anyway, I'm not too sure about the asymmetric neck profile, or the sound of the 3 pups. I would appreciate anyone's personal experience with this bass.

Thanks,

Randy

2. id find a urge 1, kubicki preamp....
    plus i think its the same preamp as the ameican deluxe jazz, which IMO sucks...urge 1..all i gotta say..thats active and passive

3. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I had one and liked it alot. It was nice having the ability to produce real P and J bass tones from one guitar. Great for gigging. It could also go way deep using the neck J & P pup. I mean WAY deep, almost Gibson "Dark cloud" deep. However, the neck went bad on mine and I exchanged it with Fender for a RBV. I still have the Roscoe Beck and have an order on for a RBIV.

4. I looked at the RBIV, since I play 4-string 99% of the time, but the pre-amp looked too durn complicated. Looked like a steep learning curve for this old dog. ;)

In what way did the neck go bad?

Randy

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The RBIV, like the RBV, has no preamp. The switches and stuff are for series/parallel/single options for each pickup.

As for the Urge II, I've auditioned one at a store. Fit and finish are on par with the RBV, but the body size and light weight make it feel somewhat dinky in comparison to other Fenders. YMMV. The neck is very fast. If there's a minus, it's that I thought there wasn't enough space at the end of the fingerboard for popping, though it doesn't seem to bother Stu.

6. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL

the urge 1 is a 32" scale axe as well as having a different preamp. the urge 2 is 34"

7. urge 1 = downsized kubicki preamp, 32" scale, 24 frets, not sure what pup's

urge 2 = fender 3 band acttive eq, 34" scale, 224 frets, noiseless j's and custom split coil

id go the urge 1 for sure, id replace the preamp with a prpoper kubicki for sure

8. Fred312b

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    hey randy, did you see the review of it on bassplayer.com? it's in the archive section - i tried to link it but it didn't work

9. Fred312b

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    damn computer literate people ;)

10. Randy-
    I've been playing a Stu hamm I for the past 14yrs, and have tried 2 stu Hamm II w/in the past yr.
    These are great basses w/ compromises (like the p'up placement is not exactly where a P or J should be). While i don't sound or play like stu, IMO hes built these basses for his purpose, they are more lead like instruments, lots of mids and treble. They have downsized bodies, lightweight w/ amazingly fast necks. The electronics are designed to get many useful tones, but IMO none of them are authentic. The UrgeI has a decent P tone but a Okay J tone, The UrgeII, has a decent P tone as well, but the J IMO isn't what a std Fender jazz sound like, its better than the UrgeI. I've found that both basses didn't get deep fat bottom like a traditional P. Again the tones are useful in a band situation, but tend to be mid-dy.
    What great about these basses are how fast they play, Fender & stu really setup these basses to play like a rocketship; small, asymmterical necks, comfortable feeling body and lightweight.

frank

11. Is the downsized body anything like Fender's American Deluxe P-Bass? Or smaller again?

12. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I've bought an Urge II last year and I like it very much. The body is only slightly downsized similar to the Deluxe, very comfortable. It's not smaller again. The neck is fast, extremely comfy.

I think it sounds excellent and the preamp is voiced very well compared to a P Deluxe, which I found to be harsh. The noiseless pickups do provide authentic tones, but you can't make a direct comparison to a straight P or J and it's not meant to be compared. If one bass did it all, we'd all be playing it, right? Besides, I have several P's and J's and they don't sound the same among themselves - vintage doesn't sound like 70's and hot doesn't sound like hi-fi.

What it gives is a lot of versatile, usable tones that can get you there. Clean and powerful pickups that are well matched to the preamp. You can get any variation/combination on the 3 pickups - it's well thought out and very well built. I like it a lot.

I emphasize that it does offer some compromises tonewise but they don't take away - they are actually quite good. It's another variant with a lot to offer. You can only try it and see how it suits you -it may or may not be what you're looking for. I can only tell you it is what it is - well made with a lot of flexibility.

13. burta

burta

May 15, 2009
    I have owned an Urge II for over a year. Its great if it suites your style(s), its a good match for mine. I just luv the amount of onboard control if you change style or technique a lot :) For some sample tones, flat EQ, no mixing, direct to desk, running J&P mid wash.

http://www.indabamusic.com/people/burta (4 small solo pieces)

14. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Nice playing man. I listened to these before I went to bed last night (from the other Urge thread).

15. Fredbsimard

Fredbsimard

Apr 29, 2016
    Hey, I bought a Stu Hamm urge 2 right off the line of Corona California 13 years ago and I have yet to find another bass that I like to play. Well except an Rickenbacker. I use .125T .100 .80 .60 On it. Here's my band Inire \m/ (><) \m/

QUOTE="Bass Atlanta, post: 1487162, member: 35014"]I'm looking for some opinions on the Fender Stu Hamm Urge Bass II. It looks like the perfect Fender: 24 Frets, 2 "Noiseless" J-pups and 1 P-pup, active electronics. Looks like it could use a Active/Passive switch and passive tone control, though.

Anyway, I'm not too sure about the asymmetric neck profile, or the sound of the 3 pups. I would appreciate anyone's personal experience with this bass.

Thanks,

Randy[/QUOTE]
    Heuy