1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Stu Hamm Urge Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr_Soup, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Mr_Soup

Mr_Soup

Jul 14, 2005
    New Orleans
    I was in a local music shop getting some repairs done on my bass and found a lavender Urge I (The 80s model, not the new one) going for $600.

I've been trying to research this model, and have come up with nothing.

I was just wondering if any of you knew anything about this bass (history, quirks, etc.), and if this was a fair price?

Any pictures you can find would be appreciated, too.

Thanks!

2. cabrego

cabrego Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2007
    I owned that exact bass in that exact color for about 2 years. It is great if you want a light weight bass for soloing, but it just lacked bottom. Stu himself said in an interview that he had the full scale model made for him since he couldn't get the original urge to sound good.

3. I have one and $600 is a good price. Mine plays pretty well. As to the "no bottom" argument, it has a bit of snap, but can do alright in passive mode. I'm not a big fan of how it sounds active. One possible downside is that it doesn't detune, but I don't think most 32" scale basses would.

4. Mr_Soup

Mr_Soup

Jul 14, 2005
    New Orleans
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

My main bass is actually an Urge II, I was just wondering if this bass would be a good complement to its sound.

I'll try it out tomorrow and let you guys know what happens.

5. I'm fairly sure it would be fine tuned down to D. It's the same scale length as the Kubicki X-Factor basses, isn't it?

I would love to find one of the USA made Urge I's in good shape. A friend of mine played a green one for years before I bought a Kubicki on evilBay and traded it to him for his Urge II.

I wonder if Fender still does Urge I's as special orders?

6. The Fender Urge is 32" scale. The X-Factor is Capo'd to 32" scale, but extends to 36" for the dropped D. I rather doubt that Fender still sells it as a special order, perhaps the custom shop might for an arm and a leg, but they also no longer use the Kubicki-designed pre-amp.

7. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    That one was called the Stu Hamm "Standard" model and was MIM, as opposed to the three pickup model which was MIA.

I had one of these for a few years-- a nice bass if you like the 32" scale.