Fender Stu Hamm Urge II- any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bestest_bassist, Aug 9, 2002.

1. i was recording in a friend's studio with my band last night, and i pull out my MIA jazz deluxe when we're getting set up. the engineer (the guy who owns the studio, who i'm friends with) sees it and says: "that's a great bass. my lil bro was thinkin about buying one of those but then decided on this bass instead" and he pulls out a new fender stu hamm urge II bass. i had only vaguely heard of these but never seen or played one. the three pickups interested me so i had to try playing it.

i plugged it into my amp, and was...incredibly dissapointed! i'm a fan of active pickups, i think the active pups on my jazz deluxe do wonders and sound terrific. but i thought every sound coming out of this bass was just so artificial sounding and way way too treble-y, especially the bridge j-pup. the only setting that i could personally even stand was when it was on the second pickup. there was no punch in the sound at all, absolutely NO growl. granted, this guy plays mostly ska/punk stuff and isnt as interested in a jazz growl but still. the playability was also just awful, it just didnt feel good to be playing. i was excited to play it after seeing the three pickups, that it was USA-made...but the whole bass was just a dissapointment.

i will grant it that the action definitely needed to be checked out and the strings felt rather old. but that shouldnt make that much of a difference. anybody else have thoughts on this bass? i dont ever plan on buying this bass or any new basses for a while so i'm merely asking out of curiosity...but am i missing something with this bass? just thought i'd get other's perspectives...

2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I don't like Fender's stock preamps, which is why I went with the all passive Roscoe Beck. Their midrange controls, IMO, have a very limited useful range; outside of the sweet-spot the tone is either dry and harsh or tubby-sounding.
  3. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Didn't really care for it. The pickups and preamp aren't good sounding. The 21-24 frets are impossible to access, the heel block was not really bevelled.
    The construction and finish were good, but I didn't dig the sounds at all.

And I'm a big Fender fan.
  4. ok good, so then it wasnt just me. cuz i love my fender bass, i think the sounds it gets are the tops...but this bass sucked more than i ever thought a bass of that price could. i mean i really thought that thing was awful.