1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Stu Hamm Urge II- any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bestest_bassist, Aug 9, 2002.

1. i was recording in a friend's studio with my band last night, and i pull out my MIA jazz deluxe when we're getting set up. the engineer (the guy who owns the studio, who i'm friends with) sees it and says: "that's a great bass. my lil bro was thinkin about buying one of those but then decided on this bass instead" and he pulls out a new fender stu hamm urge II bass. i had only vaguely heard of these but never seen or played one. the three pickups interested me so i had to try playing it.

i plugged it into my amp, and was...incredibly dissapointed! i'm a fan of active pickups, i think the active pups on my jazz deluxe do wonders and sound terrific. but i thought every sound coming out of this bass was just so artificial sounding and way way too treble-y, especially the bridge j-pup. the only setting that i could personally even stand was when it was on the second pickup. there was no punch in the sound at all, absolutely NO growl. granted, this guy plays mostly ska/punk stuff and isnt as interested in a jazz growl but still. the playability was also just awful, it just didnt feel good to be playing. i was excited to play it after seeing the three pickups, that it was USA-made...but the whole bass was just a dissapointment.

i will grant it that the action definitely needed to be checked out and the strings felt rather old. but that shouldnt make that much of a difference. anybody else have thoughts on this bass? i dont ever plan on buying this bass or any new basses for a while so i'm merely asking out of curiosity...but am i missing something with this bass? just thought i'd get other's perspectives...

Joel

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I don't like Fender's stock preamps, which is why I went with the all passive Roscoe Beck. Their midrange controls, IMO, have a very limited useful range; outside of the sweet-spot the tone is either dry and harsh or tubby-sounding.

3. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Didn't really care for it. The pickups and preamp aren't good sounding. The 21-24 frets are impossible to access, the heel block was not really bevelled.
    The construction and finish were good, but I didn't dig the sounds at all.

And I'm a big Fender fan.

4. ok good, so then it wasnt just me. cuz i love my fender bass, i think the sounds it gets are the tops...but this bass sucked more than i ever thought a bass of that price could. i mean i really thought that thing was awful.

Joel