Fender Studio Bass Combo...Experiences?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lonote, Jul 18, 2005.

1. I have the opportunity to buy a late 70's/early 80's Fender Studio Bass combo. It is an all-tube (6-6L6 power section), 200 watt combo with an EV 15" speaker. These are pretty uncommon amps from what I can see. They are, more or less, the bass version of the SuperTwin (a/k/a the "evil twin")Does anybody have any experience with this amp? How much should I expect to pay for one in very good - excellent condition?
  2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I looked at that very amp last week when I was down there. I thought very hard about buying it, and (from talking with Nate) so has everyone else, bassist and guitarist, who passed through the shop recently. Actually, I'm still in some conflict about it. But:

1. It's really tippy. Tall and thin, with all the weight at the top. The casters gotta come off or it will fall down and break all the tubes.

2. It's hard to carry. One vinyl handle atop a tall, thin, 100 pound amp.

3. Solid state rectifier. I have no idea what this means, or what it would do to have a tube one. (Tombowlus, are you here somewhere?)

4. The price. It seems great, but there's lots of guys who claim they got theirs for $200 or whatever. Still, it seems like a great deal for 150 tube watts, at least on a dollar-per-tube-watt basis.

If you buy it, I won't have to think about it anymore. He also has a very attractive Ampeg head at a good price. I know of a couple other "good deal" heads (not combos) in the Cities if you're interested.
  3. The one I'm looking at isn't at Willie's (I assume you're talking about Willie's when you say you talked to Nate). I'm giving it some thought but I'm still not sure...for all the reasons you present; I don't think the ss rectifier makes any difference to us bottom dwellers. I know it'll sound great but I already have one 100 lb combo amp (and a bad back). My band, by the way, is playing at Bev's on the 29th of this month and at Bayfront (Sat. morning from 11:00 - 11:45) and at the Bedrock that night. We get up to your neck of the woods every few months...feel free to stop in and say hi if the mood strikes you!
  4. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Wow. What are the odds of two of them being around? I saw a Silverface one about three years ago over in Golden Valley, thought about it, didn't buy it, for exactly the same reasons.

I'd love to see you. Put me on the mailing list or something. Superbassman2000 lives up here, too. What's the name of the band? I think we're out-of-town for most of the Bayfront, but maybe it will work out anyway.
  5. The name of the band is Cool Disposition, we're just a bunch of middle-aged white guys trying to be a blues band. ;)

You can check out our site http://www.cooldispo.com

Hope to see you!
  6. It means it's a high-powered amp. If you expect to play bass out of it at over 100 watts, you'd better hope it has a solid state rectifier.