Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Studio Bass Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drd07, Jan 22, 2003.

1. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Thoughts/opinions on this amp?

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    I am interested too.

3. Is this a new product?

Fender's website does not show a "Studio Head" amplifier.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The old 200 watt Studio Bass from the late 70s was only sold as a combo. Any "heads" you see are chopped.

They are built to drive 8 ohm loads which was OK for the combo but limits utility as a head.

5. Lakebass

Lakebass

Jun 6, 2006
    DFW, Texas
    Consider me subscribed. I have one (a "head") and don't know that much about them.

6. I have a studio bass (chopped) head. Bought it on ebay for cheap ($250 - but really beat up)...but have put a bit of money into it to fix/upgrade it -- thanks PassinWind! --. It is based on the fender super twin. Puts out 180 watts at 8 ohms, switchable 5 band eq, ground lift switch, hum balance adjustment, and six 6L6GC tubes.

I have a love/hate relationship with the heavy beast because it hasn't been very reliable for me yet (has blown fuses at shows a few times). It sounds great though - a nice tube preamp and a loud power section that distorts at just the right volume. It delivers a loud tubey low end that can easily keep up with a loud drummer...like a super loud fender bassman. I run it through an ampeg classic 4x10 (sealed) or a 1x15.

The tone stack (treble, mid, bass) is a mystery to me...I don't think it's like the bassman. Flat to me seems to be treble at 0, mids at 5 and bass at 5....but I'm not sure. The treble is pretty harsh/gritty sounding, and I don't have tweeters...

I'm going to install a fan in it to reduce the heat and hopefully that will cure its reliability issues...then I'll be set. I love it for my style-- funk, dub, jam, electronic and psychedelic. You can hear a good example of it's sound at the website listed in my signature - the song melting pot has it w/o any effects.

7. Hey Hillbilly, can you tell me how much it weight chopped?
    I have one in the view, thinking in chopping it to push a Gallien Krueger NEO212, (600W @8ohms)

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    they weigh 46 lbs mounted in a head cab. or at least mine does.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hillbilly, flat on a Fender amp is actually treble at 2, bass at 2, and mids at 10!