Fender Studio Bass Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drd07, Jan 22, 2003.

1. drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Thoughts/opinions on this amp?
  2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    I am interested too.
  3. Is this a new product?

Fender's website does not show a "Studio Head" amplifier.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The old 200 watt Studio Bass from the late 70s was only sold as a combo. Any "heads" you see are chopped.

They are built to drive 8 ohm loads which was OK for the combo but limits utility as a head.
  5. Lakebass

Jun 6, 2006
    DFW, Texas
    Consider me subscribed. I have one (a "head") and don't know that much about them.
  6. I have a studio bass (chopped) head. Bought it on ebay for cheap ($250 - but really beat up)...but have put a bit of money into it to fix/upgrade it -- thanks PassinWind! --. It is based on the fender super twin. Puts out 180 watts at 8 ohms, switchable 5 band eq, ground lift switch, hum balance adjustment, and six 6L6GC tubes.

I have a love/hate relationship with the heavy beast because it hasn't been very reliable for me yet (has blown fuses at shows a few times). It sounds great though - a nice tube preamp and a loud power section that distorts at just the right volume. It delivers a loud tubey low end that can easily keep up with a loud drummer...like a super loud fender bassman. I run it through an ampeg classic 4x10 (sealed) or a 1x15.

The tone stack (treble, mid, bass) is a mystery to me...I don't think it's like the bassman. Flat to me seems to be treble at 0, mids at 5 and bass at 5....but I'm not sure. The treble is pretty harsh/gritty sounding, and I don't have tweeters...

I'm going to install a fan in it to reduce the heat and hopefully that will cure its reliability issues...then I'll be set. I love it for my style-- funk, dub, jam, electronic and psychedelic. You can hear a good example of it's sound at the website listed in my signature - the song melting pot has it w/o any effects.
  7. Hey Hillbilly, can you tell me how much it weight chopped?
    I have one in the view, thinking in chopping it to push a Gallien Krueger NEO212, (600W @8ohms)
  8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    they weigh 46 lbs mounted in a head cab. or at least mine does.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hillbilly, flat on a Fender amp is actually treble at 2, bass at 2, and mids at 10!