1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Studio Bass - how heavy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AlexanderB, Apr 25, 2010.

1. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the weight of the Fender Studio Bass 15" combo? I have not been able to find that information.

Thanks in advance.

/Alexander

2. I used to have one, but never knew the exact weight, but it was very heavy, maybe 175 pounds or so. I remember that I cut it to have a seperate head and cabinet, and it was still heavy. For some reason I remember it had an 18 inch speaker. I still own this amp, but left it at a church I played at years ago, and never retrieved it. I guess it's still there.

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i've had several and never weighed them either. they were very heavy, but i don't think that were as much as 175 lbs. IMO, they were probably closer to 125lbs.

4. ok...I'll compromise...150 lbs! See, I CAN be easy to get along with! Just don't talk to me!!

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I might be wrong but I recall being told or reading at a music store that it was 130 lbs. That was back when they first came out. Over 100 lbs for sure.

6. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    I had one for a long time, weighed ~125 lbs. And they had a 15" speaker, not an 18". Absolutely incredible amp, I was in a four piece LOUD rock band, this held it's own with no problem! This should be on the line for a reissue!

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I played through it and it did sound good. But the price and the weight was just way out of line. One of my buddies was with me at the time and really wanted to buy it, but right next to it was one of the first Roland solid state combos. A bit smaller, much lighter and it had a very substantial looking 15" speaker and claimed to be 300 watts. We tried it out and it knocked us out. Big and fat sounding with a nice bite on the top end and louder than the Fender could go without turning to mush. It too was expensive but still about $300 less than the Fender. So, he bought it on the spot. I went out to hear him play at a large club soon after and that thing sounded fantastic. That was another amp that also never caught on and made it.

But the Studio bass might make it as a re-issue based on looks alone.

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    they're pretty heavy and cumbersome to move around, that's why i converted my most recent one into a head/cab setup. i love the way that they sound. here's a pic of it with the head/cab (the cab has a JBL E140 in it):

Studiobassamp-1-800-2.

and here's a similar one that i did using a super twin (basically the same amp only with a 4 ohm output tranny) converted to a head with a 2x15 cab (two K140's):

supertwin-2-w.

9. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I'm 50, a bargain shopper and a GAS aholic.

I saw one on CL Chgo for $3-400 near my house. After descending into the guys basement, trying out and looking at the behemoth, I left. I did not hesitate. I did not pass go. I did not pay the money. I remain tube-less, but at least I can stand up straight.

10. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Thanks for sharing, especially johnk_10. (I saw those nice amps as I searched TB for the weight.)

I am neither old, nor weak but I think I will pass on this one. Simply too much to schlepp around, especially since I keep my gear in the basement.

I guess I will pull the trigger on an Ampeg SVT410-HLF to go with my LMII instead. At least for now.

/Alexander