Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender "style" 6 string bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dancinDaveNY, Aug 30, 2005.

1. dancinDaveNY

dancinDaveNY

Sep 27, 2001
    Western NY
    I've been playing 6 string basses for a couple years now and have developed some sort of 'my style' I guess. I'd like to stick with the 6 strings but ever since I've been playing 6 string basses I've been unable to play Fenders. I know there's a bunch of Fender spinoffs out there like Sadowsky, Lakland, Lull and a bunch more. I just haven't been able to find one that makes a 6 string. Do any of you lowenders know of a boutique(ish) Fender style bass company that makes a 6 string? I put the feelers out to Dan Lakin and Roger Sadowsky and they don't want to make a 6 string. They say it takes too much to make the neck for the amount of basses that they'd sell. Anybody got any ideas?
    hoping...dD

2. Oops I meant the low end. edit

3. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
  4. I believe Fender custom shop has made a few. There were some pictures of a six string Fender Jazz a while ago. Anything is possible, but price is going to be up there, for sure. Rather than getting a Fender styled six string, you could get a six string bass that gets close to the Fender sound. I've heard good things about F-Bass in this regard.

5. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

Try a Low End Jazz. www.thelowend.net

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. When Greg Curbow stopped by one of our GTG's here in Atlanta, he brought his latest and greatest creation - a 6 string Jazz. This was long before LowEnd or anyone was building anything like it. And even now, they can't build anything like this one - it weighed less than 6 lbs!! :eek: No BS, it was that light. Just ask Woodchuck!

RIP Greg.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Yeah, that's light... but 6lbs Extended range basses are out there. Are there any photos of it Hambone? I don't think I've seen it, I love Greg's stuff...

RIP Greg :(

dancinDaveNY:
    I'm right there with ya! I play a 6 string fretless 1951 styled slab bodied P bass
    [​IMG]

Talk about sideways glances when I pull it out :smug:

8. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    A big plus for low end
    Also check out new york bass works...
    -Greg

9. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Atelier Z makes a killer vintage style six string Jazz bass as does New York Bass Works. I've yet to find better than either of those two. I've never played them but I have also heard good things about Hotwire basses.

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yup, Joel just beat me to my 3 suggestions.

11. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Do a little research on the LowEnd Jazz bass line. they are made in America, and the playability and construction are awesome.

Go to: www.thelowend.net

Good luck.

12. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
  13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Another plug for The Low End jazzes though I've never played one (hope to remedy that soon).

14. IIRC there was one on the website for awhile but that was back then and I'm sure it's long gone by now for sure. There might be one in the mess of pics taken that day. There had to be several of us wearing that thing when the flash went off!

It was a sunburst too - and that lead to it's "stealth" look. Like yours I imagine, folks will do more than one double-take to make sure they are seeing right!

15. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    James,
    I didn't realize that fretless 51P was yours. I've seen photos of it on TB before and have always really liked it. Enjoy it!
    Joel

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Cool, I'll see if I can track it down...

Yeah, it's usually a song or 2 into the first set before the musicians / gear fans get the light bulb going off... I love it ;)

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Thanks Joel! Are you gonna be at the NYC GTG? I'd love to try some of your basses.

18. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Celinder makes a few 6'er models that are close to Fender style... not a true match, but not too far off.

19. Joelc73

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    When and where is it? I'd love to come by.

Thanks,
    Joel