Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender-style Graphite Bass Bodies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve Mosher, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Steve Mosher

Steve Mosher

Oct 23, 2001
    Would you like to play on a Graphite Fender Jazz-style bass body, mounted with your wood or graphite neck?:D

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I sure would like to try one, but I can't say if I'd like it or not before doing so. :)

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Although not pure graphite, AFAIK... right?

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    There's no such thing as pure graphite, except maybe in pencils.

It's called composite for a reason.

[EDIT]
    I meant that what is usually refered to as graphite in bass contruction etc. is composite graphite.

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well, Steve didn't explicitly say graphite "composite"... :p although pure graphite (which does exist) perhaps wouldn't make a good body material... what the heck do I know?

Well, for instance, that pencils are a mix of carbon powder and clay. ;)

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hoot! Would it be like this, Steve?

8. could it be made into a 6 string? otherwise, not enough strings for my style.

9. Steve Mosher

Steve Mosher

Oct 23, 2001
    The composite neck through shown is a really great piece of design and construction. However, in this case I am referring to a bolt-on body. The vast majority of Fender players seem to prefer the de-coupled sound afforded by the bolt-on neck configuration. The bolt-on leans things more towards traditional punchy attack, whereas especially with a graphite or high quality wood neck, sustain is substantial with the bolt-on.

I have attached a file showing what I have in mind.

Cheers.

Steve Mosher

10. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    Where?

11. Steve Mosher

Steve Mosher

Oct 23, 2001
    Let's try this, unfortunately with less detail.

Steve

12. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    So, where do I sign up for one of those? Seriously, that looks astounding. Very nice Steve.

13. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Steve- is that confetti on the bass, or do you have some very unusual fret markers there?

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    What's the weight on that baby?

15. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

- play it? Yes, I'd love to try it and see how it sounds.

- buy it? depends on: sound, cost, weight and durability.

I'll take mine with pickup & control routes for G&L L2000 electronics ;). I love the look of the patterning on the body (although I suspect many people won't).

For the wood-lovers are you going to offer some kind of diamond-wood top so they can still have a wood look? (not my bag personally).

And put some kind of quick/easy release neck joint on it and you have the ultimate non-Steinberger travel bass.

Actually if I don't get along with the #6 neck on the G&L L2000 coming my way I'm going to be trying out one of your necks on there.;) ;)

16. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I would love to try that thing out, its damn cool in my opinion. my opinion would depend on sound, balance, and durability. it looks georgeous. im into the composite weave look. if there was a way i could afford a lightweight and rather indestructible (as im guessing that thing is) as well as resistant to the elements bass... and on top of these criteria good sounding, i would defenitly spring for one. that is one fine piece of bASS

17. Steve Mosher

Steve Mosher

Oct 23, 2001
    Hi:

I have attached a photo of two basses with graphite 'composite' bodies.

The 'confetti' necked bass I actually call the Party Bass. It is 35" scale with random, colorful inlays. If you follow them, I guarantee that you're out of tune. This body has an Alder core running from neck heel, through the pickups and under the bridge. The body side/bouts are honeycomb filled. So, consider it more of less a solid body; definitely no acoustic chambers of any size. Great tone, kind of like a hardwood top on an Alder back. Sustains like a mother, a big fundamental with complete, balanced harmonic overtone series. The bass weighs 8 lbs. and is well-balanced.

The other bass is a 'fanned fretless', 34-35" scale. I have some experimental bridge/pickups and an 'outboard' pre-amp in the surface mounted box that I dink with periodically. The body is hollow/chambered, and when used with the Moses Air Coupled Sensor bridge pickup in this configuration has quite a pleasing acoustic quality. The bass weighs 6 1/2 /bs. and balances very nicely.

They are both very durable.

I was really checking to see if there is some interest in this style of body. Since it appears that there is, I will determine a realistic price for them and report back.

Craigb: Check out www.chrysalisguitar(s).com to see a really neat click-in/quick release neck to 'framed' body joint instrument. The guitar neck is held in place, and the strings going into tension with the flick of a cam on the headstock. We made 25 of these guitars for Chrysalis.

So, although these particular configurations may seem a little odd, they do represent a couple of ways that we can do bodies. I like both for different reasons.

As an aside, sometimes it seems that I must have too much time on my hands; I've got a fairly broad collection of basses with designs that I have never considered 'marketing'. I guess that I just like to dabble on the side.

Cheers.

Steve

18. craigb

Those chrysalis guitars are quite a feat of engineering. I was thinking lower tech than that (reading the stories about all composite Steinbergers being transported by plane and still being in tune upon arrive with all the temperature changes). But those are impressive.

19. Steve Mosher

Steve Mosher

Oct 23, 2001
    Craig:

Yes that is a great idea for detaching, however kind of techy.

The stories about properly constructed (especially one piece) graphite composite instruments being in tune when moved anywhere are true. I have provided an attachment showing my favorite travel bass, a Moses Key 5. Check it out.

Cheers.

Steve Mosher

20. craigb

Steve,

That is a nice bass. It would have all the advantages of the traditional Steinbergers. Very nice.