Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender/SUNN 1200s HEAD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Aug 20, 2003.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Is it possible to have an online manual of this head?
    Fender site is really not so full of info.

Why this product is not so used by pros or working bassists?

How loud is this head used only with a 8 ohm 4x10?
    I ask because if i decide to buy the head i'll use it for the forst months only with a 4x10 at 8 ohm...

thanks!

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    http://www.dangpow.com/~sunn/

will get you specs, service manuals, etc.

Why no pros... don't know? I love my Sunn Sceptre Tube Head.

The site above has a Forum full of Sunn users(some TB & HCBF regulars there too)

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    from what i had read (but unfortunately i don't remember where i did), the sunn 1200s had 4 speaker outputs. each was dedicated to 1 and ONLY 1 cab @ 8 ohms. for example, you could connect 4 Sunn 215 cabs, each handlng 300w @ 8 ohms, and you had a real 1200 w rig.

now this head is called fender bassman 1200, and 2 of these speaker outputs have been removed. and i found no specs saying how you can reach 1200w. two 4 ohm cabs ? probably, but not specified.

i have no reason to believe this head is a bad one, and the lack of pros playing it should not be a criteria of a bad gear... the sunn 300t (now called fender bassman 300) is also a great all-tube head, and as far as i can see, i know no famous player using them

all the best
    jl

4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I had a Sunn 1200S. I would still have it if a friend of mine had not talked me out of it. It is the loudest head I've tried. Much louder than an Eden WT-800 or an SWR SM-900. I honestly believe it will put out 1200 watts.

The tone is very good. I did change to some NOS USA made tubes, however. A great amp IMO.

Chuck

5. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I have a Sunn 1200s with the 4 outs on it. I believe the outputs are all wired in paralell to each other. The manual sugests for best performance to only use one output per cab. (See page four of this PDF.) It also did not mention any ohm restrictions per output either just a total minium of 2 ohms.

And as Chuck mentions this is a very loud amp. In fact one of the biggest problems I have with it is playing at low volume.

GS

6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    thanks for this info, giantslacker

but what happens with the new bassman 1200 ? it has only 2 speaker outputs, and it is not mentioned whether it has restrictions of only 1 cab per output

if there is still this restriction, this means the only way to have full power is to connect two 4 ohm cabs

7. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I don't think you're actually restricted from daisy chaining the speakers in either model. It was only suggested to use one cab per output on the old model "For best performance." I'm sure if you daisy chained two 8 ohm cabs out each side you would be fine. I'm guessing Fender removed two of the jacks to maximize profits.