SOLD Fender/Sunn 1200s Hybrid Amp w/road case, exc. condition

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by NJ Dave, Dec 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Price:
    400 + ship
    Apparently there hasn't been one of these on the forum in quite some time. This unit is in pristine condition inside and out. Asking $400 plus actual FedEx/UPS shipping cost to the lower 48 states. (Not sure this is even an issue, but PayPal only, please.)

This is the Fender-made tube/solid-state hybrid amp, not the 60s-vintage Sunn tube head of the same name. This behemoth pushes an astonishing 1200 watts into a minimum 2 ohms. Others on the forum in the past have estimated it will do 800W into 4 ohms, but Fender never published any other power specs for it. It's SERIOUSLY loud and will handle any load you need to drive (just take care not to blow your speakers!).

It features a solid state power amp with tube front-end: a single input feeds separate clean and dirty channels, each driven by a 12AX7, which can be switched or blended. Also features a 10-band graphic EQ and a split band compressor. (There's a footswitch, not included but can be had on eBay, that will switch channels and turn on/off the EQ and compressor.) The four 1/4-inch speaker outs are wired in parallel. This was my main amp for only a little while; since I acquired an Eden WT-400 in 2004 (!) I've only gigged with it a couple of times, saving it for occasions when I'd be driving unexpected/unknown speaker loads.

I wouldn't use it as a practice amp. At low volume it can be somewhat noisy; it's still a 1200W amp and tends to magnify 60 Hz hum from your single-coil pickups, especially with the compression on. At gig volume it's not a problem and the amp has TONE TO BURN. This model, manufactured by Fender, was later re-badged the Fender Bassman 1200. Comes in a 2-space road case (a Rondo SKB clone of quite good quality) which the amp fills end-to-end, and includes the manual and extra mounting hardware.

Amp is squeaky clean as you can see in the photos. (I haven't removed it from the rack lately, and it's all packed now for shipping [sorry!], but I guarantee few if any scratches.) I recently had it serviced at an authorized shop to remedy a problem where the volume was fluctuating (the connection to the board with the speaker outputs needed to be resoldered). All other components were checked, pots cleaned, and the amp is now practically like new and ready to rock.

Amp weighs 35 lbs., shipping weight with case and packing is 49 lbs. Check out the manual here. I include more specs from the manual below.

POWER REQUIREMENTS: 120V AC, 60 Hz, 1800W
    PREAMP SECTION

INPUT IMPEDANCE: 470k ohms
    FULL POWER SENSITIVITY : 12.75mV
    TONE CONTROLS:

Treble: +/-15 dB @ 3kHz
    Bass: +/-15 dB @ 40Hz
    GRAPHIC EQUALIZER: +/-12 dB @ 31.5Hz, 63Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz,
    4kHz, 8kHz, 16kHz
    MID NOTCH: -20 dB @ 700Hz
    LOW BOOST: +10 dB @ 40Hz
    HIGH BOOST: +10 dB @ 6kHz
    POWER AMPLIFIER SECTION
    INPUT IMPEDANCE: 10k ohms
    POWER OUTPUT: 1200W R.M.S. into 2 ohms @ <0.2% T.H.D.
    SENSITIVITY : 1V R.M.S. (0dBv)
    DIMENSIONS:
    Height: 3.5 in / 8.9 cm
    Width: 19.0 in / 48.3 cm
    Depth: 15.0 in / 38.1 cm
    WEIGHT: 35 lbs / 15.9 kg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  2. IngloriousOz

IngloriousOz Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2006
    SLC, Utah
    I've had a couple of these and they are incredible amplifiers, headroom for da...months and years. Unbelieveable tone and power!

NJ Dave likes this.
  3. Thanks I.O.!

IngloriousOz likes this.
  4. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    And all the clean headroom AND dirt you need!

NJ Dave likes this.
  5. lemongrenades

lemongrenades Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Philadelphia PA
    pm'd

NJ Dave and IngloriousOz like this.
  6. Sale pending! That was fast. Thanks all for the encouragement (and the networking)!

frankegcbass likes this.