Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender/Sunn 300 Pro/T vs. Mesa 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've done a search on all of the above and still haven't found what I'm looking for. I need an amp that does NOT focus on high mids, has plenty of power and growls a great deal. My Traynor doesn't have what I need despite having a great tone of its own, I just need something focused more on the lower end with the most growl imaginable. I may just be better off with SS technology but I like tube amps and would like to give it another shot. I love the Mesa's tone and have played one and loved, but it was for three minutes with a Rick 4003 which wasn't mine through a Boogie 610. So I guess I'm asking your opinion since I'll buy used what you all believe better suits my needs for rock basically and nothing else. I use my fingers, slap a little and use a pick sometimes so basically all playing styles, but tap. Since no one around here has one of these right now I can't test them so I'm going to do nothing, or go ebay style. Just experiences, perferably gigged but whatever will work. Thanks for the help guys!

2. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I can't comment on the mesa--never played through one--but I have played the 300t w/ a 2x15 bottom at a music store--i was trying out basses, and 5 of 6 basses I tried sounded incredible! then i figured out is was the amp, not the basses! that 300t is one growl and grind monster! It's a big heavy beast, though.

3. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    It's not the weight that worries me, it's just tone. I don't mind weight, I'm more than strong enough to carry virtually anything I please I just want to ensure that the thing will growl somewhat like my GK and Peavey SS amps. I don't know if tube amps do that kind of thing or not though... but shouldn't they?

4. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Also, does the lack of a midrange knob hurt this amp's ability to pump mids? Or does the 10 band graphic mitigate that? How is it voiced flat? Thanks guys.

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Sunn amps, especially when cranked, are complete growl monsters, while still being transparent enough to preservethe sound of your bass (unlike other companies). My '69 Sunn Sceptre makes my '72 P growl like crazy, and i've played on a 300T a few times, and it's just an even more amazing amp.

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I get really nice low mids/bass and growl out of my Warwick pro fet III.. and that's their cheapest head. Maybe check out a tube warwick?

7. If you don't like the upper midrange of the Traynor, the Sunn/Fender 300T/Bassman 300 won't win you over either. It's WORSE. I had one, and all the amp had was an ice-pick treble tone or total underfined muck. I REALLY tried to like that amp, but couldn't. It sounds like you are a good candidate for the Ampeg tube sound.

8. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    That's what I thought... I've always loved the sound of an AVT-CL into a PR-410HLF, the only Ampeg cab I like but it's too heavy. I'll just pull the trigger and go vintage SVT. Thanks for the advice guys.

9. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Would I be best off with a vintage SVT, a SVT-CL or maybe an SVT-IIPRO?

10. i´d say svt-cl and after reading your "description" i´d say definitely an ampeg man.

11. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I figured as much... I just wonder how it'll sound through my B410 Delta. I don't remember if anyone's used this particular pairing before. And I don't want to buy a new cabinet too, I'm selling my whole Traynor rig and then buying this head, prolly not my most brilliant maneuver but I really can't make the Traynor sound the way I like so I figure I'll get rid of it, why keep what I don't like? I figured an SVT was what I needed, I've always loved the Ampeg sound with my Sterling. But I only have experience with an SVT-CL and various Ampeg cabs.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    What happened to the BAM?!

13. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Not a thing!! I love that BAM man, absolutely badass but I want a tube head as well and the Traynor ain't fittin the bill. Actually my BAM was making a rattling sound last night, but I think it's a loose screw in the handle, I tightened everything up on it but haven't plugged it in since. How's your BAM treating you? It's funny, I've actually found my favorite model to be the SVT with 810 hahaha. Figures huh? But I'm not buying an 810, just an SVT if I can find one. You guys going to start gigging soon?

14. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa

I'll second this. My Sunn Coliseum 300 makes my bass roar. First band practice I took it to my band was left slack jawed compared my punchier Hartke for the low end I got out of the Sunn.

I would look for Sunn tube amps if you are wanting something seriously killer. It may need repairs but it will be worth it.

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yeah definately vintage Sunn, rather than the newer Fender/Sunn models. (nothing wrong with them, but probably not your sound.)

16. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Perhaps... I'm still leery of buying anything I've never played so that puts the SVT higher in the standings. The problem is I can't try an SVT with anything but Ampeg cabs and I hate Ampeg cabs. If it wasn't such a total dick move I'd buy one at GC, test it for a month and then return it and buy a used but my morals/principles and such tell me that's a no no. Being a man of principle is such hard work you know???? :)

17. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Sunn amps are pretty cheap on eBay right now, I picked mine up for $259 including shipping.

Nof if you are looking to get a Tube Sunn it gets to the 500-800 mark at times but it is very much worth it I promise :D

18. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I got my 100 watt tube sceptre from speddling for $200 bucks. I also got to try out his totally sweet Schroeder 1210.

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    My BAM is the shop. :mad: Bad power supply, I think.

We did play our first show with our new singer at the Elbo Room in the city this last Wednesday. I'm really happy with how well it went. I'll let you know the next time we're playing in the area. :)

20. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Damn, that's a raw deal Michael! Are they covering it under warranty? I actually had to get a 2nd one as the pedal input on my 1st was broken but since then it's run like a champ. The odd buzzing sound is gone now so I guess it was just a loose screw.Where's the Elbo Room at, haven't heard of that one. For sure keep me updated, my band is kind of stuck in low gear for the time being as my singer's having some relational issues, my drummer's too busy to do anything and they're both to cheap to practice more than once every two weeks which is pissing me off to say the least. But it'll get better, we've actually got a photo shoot this coming Thursday and Friday so we can get promo stuff together for the summer, other than that I'm just jammin solo, working with the BAM more. It sure is a cool amp though, good call on that one. How long until yours is out of the shop?