1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender super 55 vs DiMarzio area J pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Apr 14, 2016.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    I can't decide, it's a toss-up for me between the Fender Super 55 pickups and the DiMarzio area J pups. I have a set of each in two different basses and I go back and forth and I still can't decide which ones I want to replace the fender N3 pickups for in the American Deluxe Jazz Bass. Has anyone else been torn between these two sets of pickups? I know in the end, the final decision is up to me, but out of curiosity, I'd like to know what others think.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I would go for the Super 55's personally, if you can find a set.

madjazzbass likes this.
  3. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Yeah, I was going back and fourth between the two sets, (A/B ing) two of the Jazzes that I have with both those pickups, Area J's in one, and Super 55's in the other; and although it seems the Area J's have more output ... ? (then again, that could be because of the Audere pre, the other one has the stock Fender pre-amp), the Super 55's sound really clear, focused and articulate; the Area J's are louder like I said, but sound a little "boomey". I don't think either of them sound as good or as "vintage" as my two Basses that have the Custom Shop 60's pups though; but again, I don't want that hum on my $1500 Am. Dlx., those stock N3 pups are very clear and very even sounding, but they are weak when it comes to output and they lack in the low end dept. ... I'm actually wondering now if it is indeed the Pre amp that's weak ... ? Hmmm.

4. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx

Such is the compromise with all noise canceling Jazz pickups. They get close, but cannot exactly replicate the tone of a true single coil.

madjazzbass likes this.
  5. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Well, the Super 55's are the pickups that Fender SHOULD'VE used as the stock pickups for the Amer. Dlx. Jazz, they sound WAY better than those N3 pups ... which are also split coils ...

6. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I agree, I am not sure why they never used them on stock instruments.

But the N3 pickups are actually stacked coils, not split, so the bottom coil acts more like a dummy coil and is more of a tone and output suck.

madjazzbass likes this.
  7. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Hmmm, Yeah, if I'm not mistaken, the same holds true for the Seymour Duncan Hot Stack ... hence the name Hot Stack, Ha!! I found (in one of my Basses), that I really didn't dig that/those pickups like I thought I would, shortly afterwards, I replaced the Duncan pup with a CS60's pup.

8. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Well, it's not like I'd be replacing a single coil for a split coil, the N3 in the American Deluxe Jazz also isn't/aren't single coil pups.

9. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I'm with you man, I am not much of a fan of stacked pickups either.

10. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    I'll take Super 55's all day, I popped them in a cheap Yamaha bass and couldn't believe how good they sounded. a very clear musical pickup. great pickups for soloing. I lucked out and got a set when they were $80. they still sell them at Amazon and ebay New Fender Super 55 Split Coils Jazz Bass Pickup Set 0992213001

madjazzbass likes this.