1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Super 55's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cm3ohana, Jul 7, 2012.

1. cm3ohana

cm3ohana

Aug 1, 2005
    I'm interested in getting a split coil jazz bridge pickup for my PJ bass. I've had good results with the Dimarzios but wondered if anyone has tried the Fender 55's and what your impressions are about the pickup? Maybe a comparison with the Dimarzio Area and Ultra pickups? Thanks

2. cm3ohana

cm3ohana

Aug 1, 2005
    Anyone? Thanks

3. JasonLamb

JasonLamb

Aug 17, 2007
    I had them in a jazz bass for a while and they sounded great, a lot better than either of the dimarzios you listed.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    really? better how?

louder? bassier? more "authentic"?

and why did you get rid of them?

5. davidchampoux

davidchampoux Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    I want to know this too...

6. EddiedoBass

EddiedoBass

Aug 30, 2012
    hi There folks,
    I just swaped my original Marcus Miller for tyhe 55 split coil. Now my bass is 60hs hum free and I can't really tell the difference in the tone, it is incredible. That slap signature stil there. .
    However as you mey or may not be aware my Marcus miller still have that anoying buzz but a little softer. The buzz I am refering to is when you are not touching the string you get a kind of ground buzz. I even tried taking it back to the technician so he could get a closer look, he opened up the bass on the spot and everything was grounded as it should. So I just have to leave with that I guees . Finally I get use single pickups and have them ready to go before song starts. I will post some audio demos soon of the new pickups. Cheers

7. EddiedoBass

EddiedoBass

Aug 30, 2012
    Here is the sound demo. http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/16911993/Fender_super_55_split_Jazz
    I just recorded this as I was practising some stuff.
    The demo is not to showcase my playing but the pickups. I would have to do heaps of practicing for a decent demo (maybe in 12months time I will get less sloppy Lol). Anyway I hope this can help people to make a decision. Cheers

8. davidchampoux

davidchampoux Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    Thanks very much for this!! Seems to be very nice pickups!!

9. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    Sounds good.

I'd like to hear a comparison to the Dimarzio Area Js.

10. SigiZ58

SigiZ58

Aug 23, 2012
    I have them in a Harley Benton JB with ash body and maple neck. I would describe them as smooth and very well balanced. The lows have fundament and the hi is crisp. The mids are there without beeing aggressive.
    Yesterday I compared with DiMarzio Ultra Js. I have to say the Fender won. The Ultra Js are much more aggressive in the mids, they bite. But I disliked, they always sounded a bit out of tune. I made the distance greater, but except loosing output it didn't become better. Putting back the Super 55 - and all was perfect. A pity they don't offer them as 5-String Version - I am still looking for 5 String PUs for my Squier VM V to replace the Duncan Designed.

11. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Bumpin' this thread back to the top. So far, I've found some encouraging feedback about the Super 55's, but I wanted to see if there were any new thoughts or reviews since the summer.

I'm assembling a parts-bass Jazz that I plan on turning into a P/J configuration. I've already got an Seymour Duncan SPB-3 waiting in the wings and I'm seriously considering the Super 55's for the bridge position.

Any and all constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

12. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    I don't know if the 55's will be able to compete with the 1/4 pounder. I'd go with the '62 Original + 55 if it were me. But if you like the Duncan, go with one of their stacked pups for the bridge.

13. Malak the Mad

You think it would overpower the Super 55 so much that it wouldn't add that little bit of "grit" into the palette?

Here's the deal; what caught my attention about the Super 55's is it apparently diminishes/eliminates single-coil hum. That and a few people have said they like it as much, if not more, than the Fender Noiseless pickups. Since I've already got the Duncan pickup, as well as a Stellartone Tonestyler, and I like the sound it delivers, I'm definitely using it again.

A little more detail; I had the Quarter Pounder and Tonestyler in an earlier parts-bass project. I do like the deep punch it delivers, but having tried different P's, J's and P/J's, I'm finding I prefer P/J's. I really diggin' that mix of "oomph" and "grit" I get when I'm running them at neck-100% and bridge-50% to 100%. So, I'm disassembling said project in favor of a P/J Jazz assembly.

The earlier build also has a Stellartone Tonestyler meant for a single-pickup bass. Since I've wanted to experiment with a Master-Volume/Blend/Tone(styler), this should be an interesting experiment.

14. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I have Super 55's in the bass in my avatar, and I absolutely love them. I shielded all cavities, and my bass is dead silent even with the volume all the way up.

Fender doesn't make a 5 string version, but there are companies that do. Nordstrand pops immediately to mind, but there are also a bunch others.

15. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    The 55's are vintage voiced with lower output than the 1/4 pounders. Generally you want a bridge pup with more output than your neck pup to compensate for the reduced vibration/output of the strings nearer to the bridge. So a stacked or side by side hum canceling HOT pickup would probably work better.

16. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    not a stacked, those are weaker, not louder. side-by-sides like this 55 or the dimarzios are the ticket if you want no noise.

also, the J is pretty much always weaker than the P anyway. the J is typically just there to sort of "flavor" the P when you dial it in, scooping out some mids and maybe adding treble.

17. Malak the Mad

Then what if I were to drop a hotter Super 55 neck pickup into the bridge position? I did this last year with a Squier Standard Jazz;

Neck: SJB-3 "Quarter Pounder" neck pickup
    Bridge: SJB-2 "Hot" neck pickup

By the way, please forgive my ignorance. Electronics were never my strong suit. I can figure out most complex gadgets without consulting the instructions. But for all I know, if I were to crack open an mp3 player or television I'd expect it to be running on alchemy or Keebler Elf cookie magic. So thank you for all your indulgence.

18. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
  19. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    That's normal with any bass. To get rid of that noise, you have to go EMG active, which do not ground to the bridge plate.
    I played one of those in the bridge position for awhile. The stack configuration seems to lose bottom end for me, as it is inherently out of phase with itself. I now have the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz, which is also end-to-end. End-to-end, like the DiMarzio or the Super 55, Nordstram, Aguliar, Fralin, Bartolini, or any others I can't recall right now, is a much better configuration both physically and tonally for the bridge position, and especially with a P/J configuration: no noise, all tone, all the time.
    Yes!

20. Malak the Mad

I placed an order for a single Super 55 bridge pickup while it was still on sale. I'll let everyone know how it works out once I've given it a proper shakedown.

All y'all (the plural of "y'all") have been a great help. Thanks again for all the input!