1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Super 7250's, surprisingly good

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by project_c, Jul 23, 2012.

1. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    I know these strings have been praised here before, but I am really surprised by how good they actually are. I bought a set of Roto 66's for my '12 USA Deluxe Jazz, and fully expected them to sound better than the default Super 7250 strings the bass came with. I would usually expect fresh Roto's to sound amazing on a jazz bass, and I normally don't mind the rougher feel and extra noise associated with them, I have them on a few of my other basses and normally really like everything about them. But when I put them on my Jazz, I was surprised to find that they sounded a lot less focussed and a lot more clunky than the Fender strings. The Fender's have a very mid-heavy, growly tone, but not much noise or clunk, even with the treble boosted on the bass. I know I'm beginning to sound like an advert but I'm just surprised by the difference these strings make, I'm definitely buying them again. Plus they're cheaper than any other strings that I would normally buy. (I usually use Hi Beams, Sadowsky Blue's, Dean Markley's and Roto 66's). Does anyone know how / where these are made? Are they specifically made for / by Fender or are they similar to anything else out there?

2. I agree: these have been my favorites for years. They do sound especially good on jazz basses

3. TimB 619

TimB 619 Guest

May 28, 2010
    The entire Fender string line was completely revamped by Roger Hart (known here at TB as Hasbeen.)

When the new strings came out, I called Fender to find out more about them. The official word was, Fender had partnered with a U.S. manufacturer to produce the new strings, but they could not reveal who. Rumor has it they're made by D'addario, but don't hold me to that.

IMHO/IME these strings are better than what they replaced, and I used Fender strings all the time! Opinions will vary of course, but I like them a lot! Right now I'm using the stainless rounds, but I may go back to the 7250's (I love the 7150 pure nickels for fretless!!)

I've tried lots of different brands over the years, but always come back to Fender, they work for me :hyper:

4. I used them for years before going to SITs. I may put them back on a couple of my basses in the future.

5. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    great strings,... yes!

6. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

Jul 7, 2012
    I'm a big fan of the older fender strings, but the new replacements look most definitely like dadarios. Colored balls and no silk. Even the way it comes in a sealed plastic bag is just like dadario.

7. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    Really good strings. I cant really tell them apart from daddario. But thats just a good thing.

8. FunkRenegade

FunkRenegade

Jul 7, 2012
    I miss the black silk on the older 7250s...

9. GigJones

GigJones

Jun 10, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    I’ve been a long time D’Addario string user – nickel roundwounds. I use them on my P’s and J’s.
    I recently purchased a Marcus Miller Signature 4-string, which came with 7250M installed, and
    was pleasantly surprised how good these strings played and sounded.

I just hope they retain their sound as long as the D’Addario’s do.

10. PrietoBass

PrietoBass How does he do that?

Apr 16, 2009
    I have a set on a jazz for over a year now.

11. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK

I'm a fan of the 8520's - these are the only ones I've found that really fit well on the Am Std Jazz V. However, they don't last that long and the tone "dives over a cliff" when they do go. I've got D'Addario's on just now and they've stayed bright for over a year. The B String is 135 and that was a bit tricky to set-up but now it's done I'm hoping they'll last a lot longer.

12. Just wanted to ad that I just bought a Squier Affinity bass that was barely used still had the plastic on the pickups etc., anyways I figured the strings needed changing so I just put a new set of Rotosound RS66's on. I agree with the OP, the stock strings which are supposedly Fender 7250ml were much more focused & fuller/louder sounding, I'm gonna give em a cleaning & put them back on. I'm a fan of Rotosound strings, they're usually my preferred string, so this is surprising.

13. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    I really like the pure nickel 7150s! Great strings!