1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Super Bassman And Radial JDI Box

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scottrolf, Apr 16, 2015.

1. scottrolf

scottrolf Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Bandon, OR
    I have a dilemma.

I recently found myself in need of using my Super Bassman in conjunction with applications like direct inputing to recording devices and even loopers. So, naturally I started looking into DI boxes and decided upon the Radial JDI mk3 box. From all indications, it sounds like a very nice unit and just what I need.
    I ordered it and it's on its way. Fine.

Just today I noticed an XLR OUT on the back of my amp. A little reading later in my manual and it sounds like my amp already comes equipped to do everything that the Radial JDI will do. Crap.

Now the dilemma. To keep the JDI once it comes or immediately send it back without opening the package. My question to you folks is, is the JDI a superior unit than what is built into my amp? i.e. Should I keep it?

Any insight is of course much appreciated.

Thanks,

2. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Hey,

Well, the obvious thing would be to try out both the amp's DI and the Radial and see which one sounds better to you. Depending on where you ordered it from, you should have a few days to try it out and see what you think. I've had some amps with a DI that was great, and some with a DI that was crap. I don't know what kind of places you play, but you may run into a situation where your amp DI doesn't sound as good or buzzes and it'd be nice to have a really good, solid DI as a backup rather than trust the soundguy to pull out something that sounds good. Good luck with your decision, my man!

BTW, most modern amps have an onboard DI or a line out...;):thumbsup:

KeithPoker likes this.
  3. I've had nothing but compliments on the DI in my Super Bassman
    If I were you, I'd swap the JDI for the Radial DI that can be used BETWEEN the Super Bassman's speaker output and the cab. Can't remember which Radial DI it is, it may even BE the JDI But this way you get the sound of the power tubes in yr DI signal.

10cc likes this.
  4. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Ya, everything that Rod said. I have had no issues at all using the DI on my Super Bassman. Totally user friendly.

5. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    How long do you have the amp that you didn't notice the XLR out on the back?, Every amp that has a XLR out means DI output.

6. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Keep the JDI. It will most certainly sound better than your amps. This IS the one you can use in speaker mode too. I'd send another signal from your cabinet to the JDI. You'll get all the tubes in your signal to the house.

7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Yes. The Radial has a very good quality Jensen transformer, the sound quality will be better, clearer sound, less DI related distortion. Some amps use transformers in the DI output but the quality is not what it can be. Other amps don't even use a transformer in the DI circuit, they use inexpensive OP-amps.

Connecting the DI parallel to the speaker output povides you with a contribution from the power amp. Much better than only the preamp out that most amp DI's provide.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    KeithPoker, SirMjac28 and 10cc like this.
  8. scottrolf

Jul 13, 2011
    Bandon, OR
    Not long and this is the first amp I've owned that had one. My other amps (guitar) are non-PC board, non-EFX loop, non-master, single channel boutique jobs.
    No one to blame but myself for not becoming completely familiar with the features before making any assumptions. Live and learn..............

9. scottrolf

Jul 13, 2011
    Bandon, OR
    Thank you. As you suggested, I'll keep it. Probably a good idea to have one anyway for other unforeseen applications down the road.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  10. scottrolf

Jul 13, 2011
    Bandon, OR
    I hear ya' but in this case I have all my FedEx packages delivered to a FedEx office as it's on my way home from work. Sweetwater (great company BTW) has already sent me a return label so it would be a simple matter of sending it right back out from there. I thought if I got enough positive feedback about the DI now, that I would bring it on home for some trials. Sounds like I will.
    I can always count on Talkbass for some good advice.

11. I'm partial to the Radial J48 (the active version of the JDI), but it is never a bad idea to have a good DI in your arsenal. Keep it and use it like the other folks have recommended (between head and cab) or for a Just-In-Case DI if you're ever in an amp-less situation and the house DIs suck.

SteveC likes this.
  12. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I feel ya'. I've had amps with good DI's, and I've had amps with crappy, horrible sounding DI's. You just never know. It's never a bad idea to have a plan B. Radial makes really good stuff, so if it's not a big financial burden, I'd definitely keep it. I'm waiting for Sweetwater to get the Mesa Strategy back in stock, but I'm also planning on adding a REDDI to my rig...:thumbsup:

13. scottrolf

Jul 13, 2011
    Bandon, OR
    A couple of you have suggested running the JDI between the head and cab. I'm trying to visualize that.
    The JDI had an IN from the guitar/bass, THRU to the amp head and OUT to the mixer/recorder. Where would the speaker cab go to?

EDIT: Just found this on the FQ's page for the JDI
    "Can I connect the JDI between the head and cabinet instead of using the speaker parallel jack?
    No. This is not advised as the signal traces in the JDI are not suitable for high levels. You can however use the parallel speaker output from the amp so long as a speaker is connected."

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  14. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Speaker cable out of head into JDI input. Speaker cable out of JDI into cabinet. XLR out of JDI into mixing board for FOH.
    OR
    Speaker cable out of cabinet into JDI input. XLR out to mixing board. This is how I run mine, it's also how Radial describes it too.

Here is what you need to make sure you do (very important). When running the JDI in speaker mode 1. Engage speaker mode button on JDI. 2. Engage the -15db button on JDI.

rodl2005 likes this.
  15. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    I have found that when running tube amps this is a much better way of routing your JDI, it is a very surprising difference in sound/tone.

rodl2005 likes this.
  16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I just bought a Avalon U5 I want to use the speaker in so should I run the cable from the second 4ohm out on my V4B or the second output of my SVT 212AV? I want to get the best recording situation.

17. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    If radial is saying no go on running a powered signal into the di I'd be inclined to agree. The direct out on your super bassman is post power amp so youre already getting that effect. I'd say run it in the FX loop or out of a quarter inch line out.

18. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    You can run a powered signal into the JDI. That's what the purpose of this "speaker mode"
    Sir Mac I'd go either or and see what sounds best. I'd check though I don't know a thing about an Avalon except this:

19. carbonfold

carbonfold Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    I run the Radial JDI between head and cab (or from the chain of the speaker output) with the -dB and speaker emulation engaged. Sounds great in my book. The only other best choice would be to run my EV RE20 in front of the cabinet.

20. scottrolf

Jul 13, 2011
    Bandon, OR
    I just called Radial and talked to Paul in tech support.
    There two ways to do this:
    1) Ext Spkr OUT from back of amp head into JDI Input and then XLR out to mixer/rec unit
    2) Speaker cab OUT to JDI Input the XLR OUT to mixer/rec unit
    Use option 2 if option 1 cuts out speakers.
    In both cases make sure you engage the Pad button and Speaker button on the JDI. If you hear a hum, then engage the Ground Lift.

High Camp likes this.