Fender T Handle truss rod tool question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lowplaces, Jun 8, 2017.

1. lowplaces

lowplaces Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Would someone who owns one of the T handle Fender truss rod tools take a look at these ball end hex wrenches and see if they look the same as the ball end on the Fender tool ?

13 Pc SAE Ball End Hex Key Set

tia

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  2. lakefx

lakefx Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Eugene
    I don't have them in front of me right now, but I own both the Fender tool and a set of ball end hex wrenches like those. The ball end of the hex wrench has always worked ok for me, but the smaller size makes it hard to get enough leverage to adjust a truss rod that is even a little sticky.

lowplaces likes this.
  3. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Ok, thanks. As far as the leverage I can just slide a small one-quarter inch drive deep well socket over the short end of the wrench for leverage.

There's a Harbor Freight about a 5 minute drive from here. I'll run over there and grab a set.

4. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    lowplaces likes this.
  5. lowplaces

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Thanks, I would much rather have a stubby. But I went ahead and drove over to Harbor Freight which is right near my house and grabbed a set of ball ends.

Worked great and I got it done and about 25 minutes counting the drive time to the store and back. Slid a business card over the notch in the pickguard to protect it.

Worked out great. I had a 20% off coupon and a coupon for a free magnetic tool holder for my bench. Just under 6 bucks for the whole deal.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Geri O likes this.
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that's perfect!

much better than the awkward T-handle.

i usually just get a regular 3/16" wrench and saw off the short end just past the curve. better leverage and no gouging up the pickguard.

lowplaces likes this.
  7. JGbassman

JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Iowa
    I really like the fender t handle wrench. It works great for my 2011 am st jazz as it does for my 94 black label P, where the truss rod adjuster is at the headstock.

lowplaces likes this.
  8. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    I have a Bondhus 13110 3/16" T-Handle wrench. Measures 9" long, works great.

lowplaces likes this.