1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Fender Tape wound sliding noise

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mrzill, Sep 13, 2017.

1. mrzill

mrzill

May 27, 2012
    I've been testing out Fender tape wound strings on my fretless Godin and also on several of my fretted basses (Fender Jazz, Epiphone Jack Cassidy, Ibanez SR1200E, etc) and on the fretted I'm noticing that sliding across the frets I get more noise than with flat wounds. I like the brightness of the tape wounds but would a different brand have less noise going across the frets?
    If this has been discussed before could you point me to that discussion?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Labellas flats (I meant tapes, duh) are smoother.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    trothwell likes this.
  3. PJFlatts

PJFlatts

Sep 4, 2014
    Nevada
    I haven't noticed any noise with the Fender Tapewounds, and neither have my band mates. Guitarist often makes comments about how 'smooth' I sound. I prefer the sound of the Fenders to LaBella tapewounds, and I like that the Fenders do have a bit a texture rather than super smooth like the laBellas.

rodl2005 likes this.
  4. The tape used to wrap the Fender tapes is a little rougher than LaBellas and others I have used. But still, I haven't' noticed that much difference.

5. Yeah, they are a rougher tape compared to most others. I like em lots tho. D'addario tapes are smooth as a baby's..... as are Rotosound tapes iirc

6. mrzill

mrzill

May 27, 2012
    Thanks everyone! I think I'll try the Labella or D'addario. Maybe I'm hearing something that's not really there :)

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021