Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Tape Wound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by r05c03, Dec 8, 2005.

1. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    I have heard that these strings might increase Pick up noise because the nylon wrapping prevents them from grounding. Has anyone experienced this? I am interested in slapping some on to my Fender Deluxe Jazz, but I am not interested in humming.

2. I have heard that also about not grounding but I use them on a Washburn Force 4 with no trouble. The only reason I dont use them on my five is that they dont make them for a 35 inch scale five. A string I found that I like better is the La Bella Tape wounds but are not as easy to find and I dont know if they would be to long for a 4 string. Go to Carvin`s
    web sight and look on there . But the Finders work well for me on a 34 inch scale 4 string.

3. Jus' tied a fresh set on my '75 P-Bass (fretted).
    Took off a 15+ year old set of Markley Flats (I dont like changing strings much).

They are really round wounds with a coating, so much brighter than the DM's, nice fer a change.

I am going to order a set of Rotosound Tapewounds now, just to try 'em (i felt a set of short scale strings in L&M and if they'd have had the long scale I would have bought em) even at the $55.00 CAN price.

The Fenders were only 29.00 CAN.

Meanwhile I am enjoying the Fenders and they have inspired a more funky style of playing than I am known for.

Oh ya, and NO HUM, at all, but I have Active EMGs and the original chrome pick-up cover in place.

4. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    thanks for the input!

5. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

on a '72 fretless P bass and a '71 fretted P bass. I purely loved the sound, lots of harmonics and smooth tones. Unfortunetly they had a tendancy to break the wrap at the bridge and I stopped using them. Sold and traded off the P Basses also (dumb, dumb, dumb) I am considering tossing them on to a Jazz Bass, that I bought to try some flats with (probably TI's), its kinda a second back up type bass.
    My Guild has only had Tape wounds on it since I got it.
    I have been not been without tape wounds since 1969.
    Never heard of a hum problem, could be though, I guess.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

6. Wes, are the TI's super flat and smooth ? or rounds wrapped in vinyl like the Fenders?

I noticed the Rotosounds have a dull sorta matte silky kinda finish, as opposed to the shiny "dipped/coated" finish that Fenders have. I liked the finish on the Rotosounds, as I am used to the ultra smooth DM's (not coated) but I am also wondering about the difference in tone between the TI's and the Fenders.

7. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

are a steel flat wound, not a tapewound. The Roto Sounds feel much more like the Labellas than the Fenders. GHS used to make a great nylon tape wound called PRO-FORMULA. I believe I might have miss spoke and stated that Labella made them.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.