1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Tape Wound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by r05c03, Dec 8, 2005.

1. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    I have heard that these strings might increase Pick up noise because the nylon wrapping prevents them from grounding. Has anyone experienced this? I am interested in slapping some on to my Fender Deluxe Jazz, but I am not interested in humming.

2. I have heard that also about not grounding but I use them on a Washburn Force 4 with no trouble. The only reason I dont use them on my five is that they dont make them for a 35 inch scale five. A string I found that I like better is the La Bella Tape wounds but are not as easy to find and I dont know if they would be to long for a 4 string. Go to Carvin`s
    web sight and look on there . But the Finders work well for me on a 34 inch scale 4 string.

3. Jus' tied a fresh set on my '75 P-Bass (fretted).
    Took off a 15+ year old set of Markley Flats (I dont like changing strings much).

They are really round wounds with a coating, so much brighter than the DM's, nice fer a change.

I am going to order a set of Rotosound Tapewounds now, just to try 'em (i felt a set of short scale strings in L&M and if they'd have had the long scale I would have bought em) even at the $55.00 CAN price.

The Fenders were only 29.00 CAN.

Meanwhile I am enjoying the Fenders and they have inspired a more funky style of playing than I am known for.

Oh ya, and NO HUM, at all, but I have Active EMGs and the original chrome pick-up cover in place.

4. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    thanks for the input!

5. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

on a '72 fretless P bass and a '71 fretted P bass. I purely loved the sound, lots of harmonics and smooth tones. Unfortunetly they had a tendancy to break the wrap at the bridge and I stopped using them. Sold and traded off the P Basses also (dumb, dumb, dumb) I am considering tossing them on to a Jazz Bass, that I bought to try some flats with (probably TI's), its kinda a second back up type bass.
    My Guild has only had Tape wounds on it since I got it.
    I have been not been without tape wounds since 1969.
    Never heard of a hum problem, could be though, I guess.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

6. Wes, are the TI's super flat and smooth ? or rounds wrapped in vinyl like the Fenders?

I noticed the Rotosounds have a dull sorta matte silky kinda finish, as opposed to the shiny "dipped/coated" finish that Fenders have. I liked the finish on the Rotosounds, as I am used to the ultra smooth DM's (not coated) but I am also wondering about the difference in tone between the TI's and the Fenders.

7. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

are a steel flat wound, not a tapewound. The Roto Sounds feel much more like the Labellas than the Fenders. GHS used to make a great nylon tape wound called PRO-FORMULA. I believe I might have miss spoke and stated that Labella made them.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.