1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. The purpose of this forum is to solicit input on newsletter content.  Paul L. from Threadloom (threadloom_paul) is testing algorithms that will select threads to feature as "popular" in upcoming weekly emails.  He has access to this forum and will be posting here shortly.  Thanks! - Paul D.

Fender taperwounds.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by AaronWarren, May 5, 2001.

1. AaronWarren

AaronWarren

Sep 7, 2000
    Sunny SoCal
    i dont know if anyone uses these strings, but these strings have the best tone! maybe it is different if you have a string thru like me. if you have a string through body you have to try these strings! it is the cross between people saying that taper this and unexposed that. the E string is tapered and the rest are normal. just thought i would tell you guys that these give awesome tone. not sure of string life but at $18 a set it is worth buying.!

2. Fender taperwounds 8250-5M are factory installed on their Roscoe Beck 5-strings. The RB5 saddles are setup to use both the tapered B and E strings.

Fender offers these in two styles, one (8255) for through the bridge stringing, and the longer above for stringing through the body.

My RB5 came used with a set of GHS Boomers installed, so the B is a bit high. I have a new set of GHS Progressive Alloy 52 strings to try. These have both the low B and E as taperwounds. GHS calls this Saddle Hugger.

I'm experimenting with the GHS over the Fenders because the Alloy 52 is a highly magnetic nickel alloy rather than Fender's nickel plated steel.