Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender tapewounds ..... wow!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassaussie, Sep 28, 2005.

1. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Just wanted to post a quick review of these. I've only ever tried tapewounds once before - they came on a used fretless bass I bought, and I quite liked them, but since I couldn't identify them, and also since I decided to sell the bass, I never bought any more.

So .... having bought a couple of fretless basses recently, I decided to give tapes another go. Asked a few questions, read a lot of reviews, and decided that Fender would be the way to go - partly for price, partly for their relatively low gauge (58-72-92-110).

All I can say is that this is the best choice I could've possibly made for the bass. I usually use light gauge roundwounds (40-100, DR HiBeams), so I'm used to low tension and a lot of brightness, and the Fenders certainly haven't disappointed me. They're full sounding, with nice clarity, and enough top end sparkle to keep me happy. The feel, though, is what's blown me away. Super fast, very low tension, easy to bend - they're just like playing roundwounds, only I'm not ripping my fingers apart!! :D

I was slightly hesitant to go with the Fenders, as the LaBellas seem to be the strings that most people prefer, but partly due to their cost in Europe, and also due to their heavier gauge, I decided to give the Fenders a chance, and will now stick with them. The model of the Fenders is 9120.

Anyway - hope this helps anyone considering trying tapewounds out.

2. Thanks for the review! Where would you place them? More towards flatwounds, roundwounds or nothing between those?

3. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

Have you ever tried Rotosound Tape wounds??

They are very clean and smooth, I use them when I need to and the rest of the time I use Rotosound Round wounds RS 66 Swing bass

4. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    No worries. I wanted to put it up as there wasn't a great deal of info about them, so at least there's a bit of a review.

As far as where I'd place them, that's a hard one. They're certainly more flexible than flats, and I think they sound a lot brighter as well, but they're very smooth feeling. For me, they're perfect, as I don't like flats at all, but I wanted to get something that wouldn't chew up my fretless fingerboard.

5. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

That's what I was kinda saying above - I can't say whether I have or I haven't tried the Rotos, as I've only tried one other set of tapewounds, and they came on a used bass I bought. All I remember was that they had purple silk windings, and that they felt great.

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I've tryed all the tapewounds.
    Take a look at GHS tapewounds.
    Great sound, and a normal 105 for E-string.
    Very underrated.

7. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

Actually, I liked the gauges of the GHS strings, but I couldn't get enough info on them to convince me, so I decided by economics!! :D

8. Peter Kaae

Peter Kaae

Oct 10, 2004
    Denmark
    ..exactly!

9. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    I've had great results with LaBellas. When I got my Reverend Brad Houser 5 I had it set it up with Labella tape wounds. That was a couple of years ago and the same set of strings are still on it and they play and sound great. I'll prolly order another set as back up but I'll keep the original set on until they either go off or fail. Economic wise these strings have lasted longer than any other tape wounds I've used in the past, including Fender and Roto Sound.
    Rezdog

10. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Thanks for all the other experiences and suggestions.

I think what Talkbass needs is a "Mega Tapewound" thread!!! :D

11. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i love the fender tape wounds. the sounded great on my MIM jazz fretless and brought life to a knock aorund bass i had. i tried the Labella but i just didn't like the feel as compared to the fenders. great strings, now you got me thinking of switching back to flats! :D

-jimbo

12. tai

tai

Feb 10, 2005
    i recently got a set from jacksmusic.com
    they kick ass!
    i have them on my geddy lee sig. series. with a little work, they can make it sound almost exactly like an upright, yet with a little more work, they can give the bass that classic geddy lee twang and punch.
    amazing strings. very versitle.

http://jacksmusicstore.com/catalog/...ass-guitar-strings/ftd-sts-ghs-sts-ebg-i~3060

i searched for a few days and thats the best price i was able to come up with.