Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender tapewounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I'm willing to try something different for my Warwick rockbass active corvette, is it a good shoot? Are the fenders like the Roto 88's, i disliked them alot, the E sounded detuned. Do i have too do anything to my saddle?

2. Slade N

Slade N sunn #91 AZ Bands #?

May 28, 2005
    az
    i have fender flats on my hamer cruise (2tek) and i dig it. lots of thump and soul. verrrry old school. but... if you want rock growl it probably wont be your thing. having the active eq might give you an edge tho.

from my experience the flats dont cut it in a modern rock band so i stick with rounds on my Thumb BO. not that im complaining there because i love that sound too.

you might have to adjust your setup because of 1. difference in guage 2. change in tension to the neck

the fender flats to my ear are very even in response so i think they record really well. especially with the tone rolled back and played with a thick pick. punchy and smooth.

3. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Hey man, i'm asking about the Tapewounds, not the flatwounds :)

I have had the fender flats before and they are great at what there doing.

4. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I did a search and found info about the La bella tapewounds, but i don't know if i want to try them. The E string has the same gauge as the roto's and they sounded detuned, does the La bella's have that problem too?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm trying to picture in my head what tapewounds would sound like on a zingy pingy bass like a Warwick. Maybe they would settle it down some. Might be a good thing, huh?

Anyway, my personal opinion is that it would sound about the same, maybe even slightly more detuned. Tapewounds aren't known for their sustaining quality.