Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender TBP-1 & Ampeg SVP-CL - New on Basstasters!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vanselus, Feb 21, 2006.

1. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Hi everybody! (Hi Dr. Nick)

Finally put up some preamps that were waiting in the wings. They both surprised me, and have two variations on solid, tubey sound.

The Fender TBP-1 (thanks Mr. Bowlus!) is very versatile, and of the thick and rich variety. Much more complex in the mids than I expected from Fender. It's also got a killer warm overdrive that I really didn't capture as well as i'd like. Hear it here:

http://basstasters.com/preamps/fendertbp1.htm

The Ampeg is much more aggressive, as you'd expect. However, it's a very flexible preamp as well, and much lower noise than other Ampegs I've played with. They do a very good job of approximating that "classic ampeg sound". (sorry to the lender of this preamp - I forgot who you are and all my PM's are gone)

http://basstasters.com/preamps/ampegcl.htm

That's it from here, let me know what you think and if you have questions, let me know. Thanks!

*note to CUP-police: I have no commercial affilliation with Fender or Ampeg

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Thank you for the time and effort to put all those killer clips up on your site! :)

Tom.

3. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    Hi.

I must say that the TBP-1 sounds awesome.

Thanks.

Pedro

4. teotmb

teotmb

Aug 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Thanks for recording and sharing all these soundclips.

What´s your (or anybody else who has used the TPB-1 and/or the SVP-CL) experience regarding noise and hum of these two units in absolut terms an reference to the V-Type and the SVP-Pro (since I own these two)?

Markus

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I can't speak for the SVP-CL, but the TBP-1 is very quiet.

Tom.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Wow..that Fender does sound good.

7. The Ampeg SVP-CL is nice and quiet.

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I remember the Fender being quiet, and that Ampeg is hands-down the quietest of any Ampeg preamp I've tried...

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    good to seeya back, Mr. V. :cool:

10. Out of interest what eq settings were used on the SVP-CL for the groove clip with the Sadowsky V5? To my ears it sounded better on the non eq clip but that could be down to computer sound card and headphones used.

11. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Thanks Joker - it's good to see you too :D

I'm not sure what EQ settings I used, just turned knobs until it sounded good. EQ is so subjective that I try to use fairly extreme settings more to illustrate what range the preamp has...

12. Thanks for your answer. I seem like a good method to give a sample of a preamp.