Fender TBP-1!!! They got it right!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by caesarbass, Sep 8, 2005.

1. The TBP-1 is a great sounding, well thought out pre. I absolutely love it. The footswitch that it comes with is great too, it controls mute, mid, od channel, and fx loop. It's really easy to dial in a great sound, start flat (treble-2, mid-10, bass-2) and work your way from there. I haven't really needed to do much tweaking, just a little boost or cut here and there. The jensen DI is also pretty awesome, the soundguys love it, I still need to do some recording with it, although it's going to be hard to beat the Avalon U5.
    I'm using a QSC PLX-2402 bridged into an Avatar B212 8 ohm cab. Although, the Schroeder bug is really biting me, big time!!!!!
  2. Can you give us a bit more info on the TBP tone? what other preamp would you say it sounds similar to?
  3. Here is a review of the preamp done by TB'er Silky Smoove on the MX forums which probably will be helpful for people.

I take no credit for writing this:

4. Nice. I did read that one. care to add any of your own opinions on it?
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I recently picked up Afroman's TBP-1, and I have been suitably impressed. In fact, I insisted that Todd Vanselus give it a whirl so he could get it up on basstasters.com! :p

It is currently on its way back to me from Todd, so keep your eye on basstasters for some clips...

6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    It really sounds and looks good with the new fender monoblock 1200 amp!!
  7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I tried it out, and I wasn't that impressed. The clean sounded good, the OD was kinda lackluster, though.
  8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I found that the overdrive took a bit of tweaking to dial in. By tailoring the clean sound to blend in well with the overdriven tone, I was able to get some gritty tones with tight low end, and I was quite happy. However, I can see where it might not be everyone's cup of tea. And of course, it seems that preamp overdrive can only get you so far. Power tubes are where the real magic begins, IME.

9. Since a 12AX7 is only a twin section, I'm puzzled how the reviewer states a single tube is used for three different gain (buffering) stages (but the other tube only uses one section???).
  10. I plug in, get a good tone, I don't have to tweak too much, it's a rockin' pre. It has all the bells and whistles I'll ever need. I'm a big fan/believer of setting my amp flat and getting the tone out of my basses and fingers, the bassman tone circuit sounds awesome to me. Just another preamp to choose from.
  11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Bingo. Which is why if I ever wanted to get a rack setup, the SWR Interstellar Overdrive would probably be right up my alley. Unless of course, I used the crossover in the Fender to send the highs to a guitar tube power amp, and the lows to a solid state power amp, but I don't know how well that'd work either.
  12. Well, I just picked up one of these new Fender TBP-1 Preamps to test out tonight... I'll give it a try at practice and then I'll check it out in the studio tomorrow and let you know what happens...
  13. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    What're these bad boys going for?
  14. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    It offers the right features. It'd be rgeat if somebody can compare it to other high end pres like Aguilar / Demeter or Read Purity regarding noise, reliability, etc.
  15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I haven't owned mine for all that long, but it appears to be well made. Only time will tell as to reliability, I guess. As for noise, it sounds dead quiet to me.

16. I don't have any experience with those preamps unfortunately, but I think it is quite a bit cheaper than them, so I wouldn't expect it to hold up too well against those names...

seems to be going for about 600 US
  17. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm really glad you liked the TBP-1 I really loved it and am very happy that a nice TB member could treat it right. I loved the combination of tube warmth and clean fast sound that the tbp-1 gave me. It's extreme;y versatile and full of great features. Jensen DI, FX loop, OD section, Para-mids and it's really well built and easy to use. Oh how I miss it, jajaja. I'm glad you like it Tom take care, i think I'll have ti stick to my Aguilar DB750:D

18. Setup: Warwick Thumb NT 5-String 2000 model played directly into TBP-1 whith DI into Pro Tools with 8 inch studio monitors.

Please Note* I have edited this review because after spending more time with the unit, I discovered that one of my complaints concerning the 1/4 and DI outputs was in fact due to a bad cable on my behalf.

This unit has a very tubey sound, It is thick & gooey but can quickly get muddy with the wrong EQing (very full in the low low end). The treble however doesn't seem to be as present as I would have liked, but it does tend towards a somewhat more vintage tube tone, which might explain that. Pushing the treble all the way up helped substantially, but the Bright switch was a bit too much for me & made things very clicky (fieldy anyone?). Interestingly, the bright switch is not part of the passive tone stack that the rest of the eq knobs are part of, and instead is located later in the chain...

I did also notice a slight hiss when the bright switch was engaged (not good for a recording preamp...)

The Eq is strange to get used to. set flat, bass is at 2, mid at 10 and treble at 2? And they are all interconnected, so if you adjust one, it influences all the others...

According to Fender, this is a cut only EQ stack, but the bass and treble are set to flat at 2, so I assume that turning up these knobs cuts somewhere else in the frequency band in order to push the desired frequencies?

Ps. this is not a hi-fi preamp, but you can get a good clean sound out of it!

To find a sound I liked, I set the mids full, kept the bass flat, treble full & pushed 500hz a little with the vari Q.
    Sounded nice to me, and If I buy the unit and use it live, I would probably forgo the mid boost with the vari Q and use it rather to notch the mids for a footswitchable slap tone

The vari Q is a nice touch and I found it to be quite effective whether boosting or cutting. - I like this feature, and could do with another one even ( i like to push one mid frequency, while notching out another).

I wasn't very impressed by the distortion/overdrive channel. it can be used very sparingly to add a bit of grit to the clean tone, which I enjoyed, but used alone, I could not find a tone I liked. As Tom mentioned though, Distortion tone is a very subjective thing, so best to give it a try yourself if you are interested in this unit.

the master volume and room adjustment don't affect the DI ouput, but that makes sense, as it is meant to be a direct line to desk or for studio, while the main 1/4 output is for sending a balanced line to a poweramp.

Overall conclusion: I definately got a better sound out of the preamp than I got directly from my bass - tighter & fuller, which I guess is the whole point of the unit right? Plus you can get quite a variety of tones out of it if you try, but you'll have to spend some time to get aquainted with the EQ properly (as is, I've only spent a couple of hours with the unit so far...I'll have to post an update after spending more time with it)

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks for the review, SoB! I had not noticed that point about the DI sounding different from the 1/4 out. I will try and give that a listen sometime. And I agree that two bands of the VariQ would have been nice, but I was able to dial in some nice tones using the EQ available. Yes, the bass, mid, and treble controls do appear to be interactive. As for the overdrive, I actually liked it pretty well, and I was able to blend in a good solid low end with an overdrive sitting on top. Pretty nice, IMHO. Of course, as with any overdrive/distortion, personal preferences do vary.

Take care, Tom.
  20. Hey Tom

I think I need to spend some more time with this unit... just thinking about it today, I've thought up a couple more settings I would like to give a try... especially with the overdrive. Like you said, its a point of personal opinion, and I'm pretty picky about mine, playing in a band with a 7-string guitar and another bass.

I think I'll start to like this pre the more I get used to it...