1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender TBX Tone Control Mod

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by acebase62, Jul 13, 2017.

1. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    The Fender TBX tone control came stock in the passive Fender Jazz Bass (PJ) I bought new in 1985. I have since assembled a few passive JJ and PJ Warmoth basses, and have always used Fender TBX tone controls and 500k volume pots, the same as the stock Fender.

The TBX tone control is a stacked tone pot which allows some extra tone variety past the detent position. The only con I found with the units is they usually come wired with a .022 capacitor. With my basses, this seemed to result in a quicker jump to clarity with more highs available than I would normally need, especially past the detent position. Overall, I still preferred the TBX to standard passive tone pots.

I recently began swapping out the .022 capacitor on the TBX for .047 value, and prefer the tone sweep and sounds. I seem to notice a little more growl as well, but this is subjective for some.

I just wanted to share my positive experience with the TBX mods and 500k volume pots, and some might find a similar set up an inexpensive enhancement to their bass.

IMG_0881.JPG

Crater likes this.
  2. Usidore T Blue

Usidore T Blue

Jun 28, 2017
    Useful, thanks!

3. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    Cool. An '86 fender came in yesterday for a setup. I might play around with the tbx while I have it on the bench...

4. JarodGrieco

JarodGrieco

Mar 8, 2012
    I'm going to put a TBX in my Mexican jazz. I'm wondering, aesthetically, is it possible to get my normal jazz tone knob onto the tbx unit? I won't do this if it means I'm married to that strat knob with the numbers on it