fender telecaster '72 ugly sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by marctobo1234, Nov 28, 2020.

1. marctobo1234

marctobo1234

Jan 11, 2020
    Hello dears!

I have bought a fender telecaster ¡72 bass and I'm becoming mad, beacuse it sounds very bad... I already have a '78 jazz bass and a '79 precision, and I know you can get the same sound, but I'm very disappointed with this... first of all, at full volume, the bass sounds with distorsion, I have to turn down the volume at 3/4, althoguh the pick up is very down, beyound the pickguard. The pots and the pick up seem original. And then, the sound I've got it's dirty, undefinied, I've seen a lot of videos in youtube and they sound is warm, nice, definied.... Does anyone can help me?? any idea? any suggestion? Thanks!!

2. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

The pickup could be "super hot" for some reason, which could produce a muddy, overloaded signal. Have you measured the resistance? If you measure 16 K-ohms or more, that could be your culprit.

Left field thought. Is there anything in the circuit other than a pickup, 2 pots, a capacitor, and a jack? No extra resistors or diodes?

3. That's what these basses do. They were made during the early '70's when Fender went on a Gibson alternative kick. They made the Telecaster Custom and Deluxe guitars which featured the same style (although six poles for guitar use) humbuckers as the Telecaster bass uses. The Tele bass was Fender's version of the EB-O and it sounds like one. If that isn't to your liking you should consider selling it and replacing it with a more suitable instrument. Hope this helps.

Rabidhamster and godofthunder59 like this.
  4. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Pretty much this. What are you playing through? If your playing through a small amp with inadequate speakers this bass will eat them alive.

jamro217 likes this.
  5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    This is an almost-holy grail bass in my little universe: high school '72-'76, broke, and I knew a guy who had one. Look cooler-than-hell but sound terrible by today's standards. This is a project worthy of further investigation IMO. I'd have someone take a look at the pick-up and harness to make everything is 100%. Is there any way to jam an aftermarket pup under the stock cover?

Riis

6. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    That sound is why I sold mine years ago

7. marctobo1234

marctobo1234

Jan 11, 2020
    Ok, I've got it.... this is how the bass sounds... but watching the youtube videos, how do they do it? Is it just a tricky post EQ?? Thanks!!

8. marctobo1234

marctobo1234

Jan 11, 2020

I'm not a technician, but I think this is how it must be, isn't it? thumbnail_IMG_20201128_123522.jpg

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    There are versions of those humbuckers that people have been using on Guilds that are supposed to be quite clear.

10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    What else has been messed with? No way that is stock wiring from 7ender.

Mark 63, jamro217 and PWRL like this.
  11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    It looks like there isn't a connection from the pickup to ground because it looks like the volume control's can is not connected to ground. Try soldering a wire between the can of the volume control to the can of the tone control and see if that helps.

PWRL likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021