1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Fender....the kiss of death.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chuck M, Dec 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Fender has purchased several manufacturers of great bass equipment and then shut them down. I suppose there is some good reason for this but I don't see it. Fender makes some great guitar amps but the bass amps have never been very popular.

So I presently own 3 amps built by companies that no longer are in business. They are my Genz-Benz Streamliner 900, my Genz-Benz Shuttle 9.2 and an SWR 350X. They all have their own voice and sound great.

I wonder how many users of these amps have gone to something different simply because the companies that made them are no longer in business.

Also there is the Sunn 1200S (the newer one) that had a great tube front end coupled to a massive 1200 watt power amp. It was a wonderful sounding amp....but was quite heavy. Sunn...also gone.

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Fender didn't close them all. Jacksons are still around.

MattZilla likes this.
  3. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Seems like they close the companies they buy that make amplifiers. They also used to own Guild and did not close them.

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    The owner of a company doesn't have to sell to Fender. They sell for one reason or another. Usually it's b/c they need the money b/c the company wasn't doing so great, or the owner(s) are are going to retire.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Yeah, I would imagine those companies are able to give all their upper management golden parachutes with the cash they get from a Fender sell-out.

Catbuster, franvarin, murphy and 3 others like this.
  6. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Gibson is just as bad, if not WORSE! Anyone ever heard of a defunct brand called "Tobias?" and LOTS of others...

Dan

7. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together

Nov 20, 2013
    North Cackalacky
    Corporate acquisitions can come in many motives. When it's a brand that doesn't directly compete in their market, it's often a diversification move to expand their portfolio. But if it's a competitor in the same niche, it rarely ends well for the acquired company.

franvarin, R&B, SteveCS and 4 others like this.
  8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    This.

That said, probably for the first time in their history Fender has a few solid lines of good bass amps, and their all-tube offerings are world class and some if the best tube amps ever made.

Gabbs, rodl2005, hdracer and 4 others like this.
  9. Pickinator

Pickinator

Dec 28, 2011
    Eagle River WI
    Didn't DW (Drum Workshop) just acquire a number of companies in one fell swoop recently? I believe they bought LP (Latin Percussion), Gretsch, and Gibralter hardware? I am not certain though.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  10. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I still play my Genz Benz stuff and because I'm a member here I know that Andy and Jeff are still available for assistance on whatever problem may arise with my amp. That being said I'm sure there are plenty of people without that knowledge. A lot of people probably don't even know that Genz Benz is no longer with us nor the fact that Genzler Amplification has risen from the ashes.

11. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    In my opinion, one of the saddest things Fender has ever done, was their ruination of Sunn.

Boone_Mc, gsgbass, Teacher and 10 others like this.
  12. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Not only do companies buy up competitors to 'make them go away', but to also absorb the technology, therefore saving on potential R&D costs.

96tbird, gsgbass, Fxpmusic and 10 others like this.
  13. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Well, not defunct, but out there as a zombie shadow of its former glorious self. :( I'd rather them kill a brand outright than cheapen it like that just for quick cash.

carsbybigd likes this.
  14. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I love my Genz Benz rigs the Contour 500 2x10 and my Shuttle 6.0 with two 12t cabs. If I ever change it would be to Genzler Amplification
    Duke

15. Welcome to capitalism. Nothing will stop that from happening. Getting bigger, stronger, richer is in our genes, unfortunately.

16. Session1969

Session1969 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    It's the sociopathy of a corporation.

bjelkeman, Root 5 and groucho like this.
  17. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Here we go... :(

18. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    This.

They buy Genz, let them go away, use the tech to bring out the Rumble and Pro Neo cabs. This is pure speculation on my part, but it makes sense.

Jazz Ad likes this.
  19. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I'm sorry. I couldn't hear you over all the a$$ that Fender bass amps kick.

20. jmverdugo

jmverdugo

Oct 11, 2012
    Katy TX
    I think this is what is happening, Fender is good with tube amps, no so much the solid state stuff, so they bought the technology and sell it as Fender.

Clark Dark and alaskaleftybass like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021