1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fender thumb rest

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anomalybass, Apr 23, 2009.

1. ive been searching like crazy and i cant find a single pic of a fender jazz/precision with the thumb rest above the e string. i am wanting to purchase one and install it on my jazz but i cant find a good pic to see where they are supposed to go. does anyone have a pic or a link? thanks- joep

2. Above the E? I thought it was usually by the G...:confused:

3. iamthebassplayr

iamthebassplayr Gold Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
  4. PJD

PJD

Jan 25, 2004
    The Ocean State
    I just glued it where it fit my hand best. Also, my thumb rest is not an official "thumb rest", I believe at one point it was an eraser or something. Works like a charm though.

5. ive just been googling fender jazz. :rollno: is the rest in the pic in the factory position? ill prob put mine near the bridge pup. that should make slapping easier. also i rarely pick near the neck. thank you. -joep

6. Yer kiddin' ....... right? :eyebrow:

;)

7. [​IMG]

8. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    buy the fender thumbrest, and they include
    a paper template for locating it above the E.

Flad likes this.
  9. Not at all. I usually use the floating thumb technique, thus, I've never had much need/desire for using a thumb rest aside from being a tug bar.

Do they include it for locating it by the G as well?

10. I was watching "Dr. No" last night ('62) and the bass player in the Tikki bar was holding the tug bar of his P-bass with his fingers and plucking with his thumb and it looked very natural. That being said, I position my thumbrest above the E as well; pickguards for this with the holes are available at www.bassguitarresource and www.wdmusic

11. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Not to derail the thread completely, but I was always confused why they called them "thumb rests" when you used it as a tug bar for playing with your thumb. :confused:

12. choo5

choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
    because thats not the only use for them? I had one on my jazz bass to rest my thumb on while finger playing....

13. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    This is where they are supposed to go.

75RIJ_01.

14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Well, sometimes. Other times they're "supposed" to go above the E string. Different strokes and all. Fender installed them both places in various years.

15. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    if below the G, its a tugbar, to hold while you thumb pick

if above the E, its a thumb rest, for finger picking

I think the earliest basses had tugbars but people moved them based on preference.

I finger pick and use the side of the pup for a P or J

single coil p-bass gives me fits!

16. Here's a pic of my old Precision with the thumb rest over the E.

75Precisionpk.

17. I was just givin' ya a bad time. :)
    Fender P's had the thumbrest below the G-string (tugbar -in '51) as mentioned earlier, it was moved in '74 to above the E-string.
    Maybe in the early '80s, the thumbrest was no more.

I have them on all of my P's, just for cosmetics.

18. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City

Now that's a right purty hunk 'o wood!!

19. I have them on all of mine too, but I use them.

blackice.

20. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Yeah, they put them on the E side occasionally. For me, though, they were always too far toward the neck. I prefer mine in more of a "rail" position. But, as you said ... "Different strokes".

Get out the drill, poke a couple holes, and put it where it works best for you.

VMF_J_02.

:D