Fender thumb

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GODSBASSMAN, Feb 4, 2017.

1. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    What could be expected tone wise if you installed MEC pickups and preamp in a Fender jazz?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Probably like in most Warwicks, you'd immediately start shopping for something to replace the MEC electronics :)

MattZilla and Matthew_84 like this.
  3. Are you putting in a common 2-band MEC or a 3-band MEC?

I personally don't see the point of a 2-band preamp when you could install a 3, or even a 4.

Also, are these MEC pickups active (gold lettering on them), or are they passive (silver lettering on them)?

Personally, I wouldn't install the active pickups as you absolutely must have a functional battery installed, and I've had the passive MEC's in two different basses and I'm not a fan... If it came stock, sure why not? But I certainly wouldn't add them.

4. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Thanks for replies. Really just thinking out loud. I have only played one Thumb decades ago at "Mars store" but opted for the Modulus Q6. I want a more quiet backgroud support type sound from my next bass like what I hear from Jack Bruce tracks. but certain 16.5 mm string spacing would be too tight.

5. A lot of the Thumb's tone is attributed to its pickup locations, mainly the slanted bridge pickup(s).

I've never played a Thumb, but a lot of people claim the bubinga body has an impact on tone as the cheaper ovangkol models don't have quite the same sound.

I think his Thumb was fretless as well, which would help with that sort of tone as it will give a softer attack.

MattZilla and Will_White like this.
  6. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    OK, well, what I did was went out and bought me a like brand new used 2006 Warwick Thumb and will leave the Fender to be a stock Fender.

MattZilla and Matthew_84 like this.
  7. Nice! How do you like it?

8. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    I love it. Got loads of tonal choices. A real keeper this one.
    Got to go join the Warwick club and post pictures. NBD hehe

Matthew_84 likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021