Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender to compliment a Warwick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diomedes, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Diomedes

Diomedes

Sep 3, 2005
    I just got a Warwick Corvette Standard with passive J/J pickups and I was thinking about getting a Fender Jazz for a second bass to get the warwick sound plus the classic fender sound. I was wondering what's the main difference between the MIM's and MIA's and all those. When I went to GC, the MIA's and MIM's seemed to sound pretty much the same and the S-1 doesn't do much the sound at all IMHO. I was wondering if the MIA is worth the extra 600 or if it's better spent on maybe some pedals or a cab. Also, all the big bands that use Fenders, do they use the MIA's or custom shop ones or what, if anyone knows? Thanks.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I prefer the MIA's myself. But not the ones with the S1 switch. I feel the exact same about them as you do. I think you would be better served by spending $650 on a used MIA J from between 96 and 2003 and forget about the MIA's with the S1.

However, there are some bargains with the MexiFenders to be had. Some of them are very nice basses, though the pickups tend to be a little noisy. But generally, you get more bang for the buck with an American. They're better made, and the pickups are a lot nicer. having said that, the bass magazine columnist Ed Friedland totally loves Mexican Fenders and owns quite a few.

As for what the big stars use, some of them play completely stock basses, and some of them play customized models with custom wound pickups. My 98 is completely stock with 62 Reissue pickups and I love them.