Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender tone in Alembic

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Persuader, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Persuader

Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    upstate,ny
    One of my basses is an Alembic Persuader with an EMG P/J set...I love the feel of the bass,the sound is rather HI-FI....and I'd like a more traditional Fender tone...slightly 'hotrodded'.

Has anyone done this to an Alembic or other 'fancy' bass?

2. Persuader

Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    upstate,ny
    "Done" as in ,put in passive pickups.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Are you sure they're EMGs in there? A lot of the earlier Alembic pups didn't have a logo on them.

4. Persuader

Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    upstate,ny
    They say 'emg' on the pickup...what I'm after ,since comparing my new toy..'78 P bass is;more traditional P tone from the Alembic.

Is this possible?

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    It should be possible to get something close to it, but I don't know which pickups to suggest. The construction and materials used in the Alembic vs a P is quite a bit different, so even with the 'best' (whatever that means) P/J sounding pups, in the Alembic, they might not sound at all the same.

There is a thread by 'luknfur' (search for "Dimento's") recently comparing lots of different pups including some P's, and lots of J's. SMASH also has a stickied thread at the top of this page with lots of J's and iirc some P's reviewed too.

If it were me, I'd start buying used pups on ebay, trying them out, and selling off the ones that don't do it for you. I doubt very many people have done what you're doing, as Alembicians tend to keep their stuff stock, so I doubt that someone's going to chime in with "I've done this exact swap and you need xxxx pickup".

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The best way to get a Fender tone is to buy a Fender.

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I agree.

If the Persuader was mine and had EMG's, I'd flog them and put in a set of Activators. But that wasn't the question asked. If I was in the US, I'd ask if he wanted to sell it to me......and buy a Fender

8. Persuader

Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    upstate,ny
    I have my friends 78 P...and it;s true; it gets all those great tones I hear on record....'cos that's what was used.
    The Alembic is a great instrument...I paid $500 + an empty Marshall 4x12 yrs ago...it is sooo smooth playing and doesn't sound bad...i'm just wondering what other PUP combos work well in them...this bass has the Spoiler body,walnut top with P/J setup.

It makes the P feel crude in comparison...but the P has the basic tone for the cover tunes i play.

9. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    how about P bass with Alembic pickups?
    want to trade?

I don't think you'll ever get a true P tone from a neck thru...

my ash body Precision bass with Alembic Activators does have the P bass authority, but with a sweeter high end and a very defined low end.

I can't imagine putting passive pups in an Alembic..but stranger things have been done :)

10. Persuader

Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    upstate,ny
    I think you're right AlembicPlayer...Alembics are different animals than Fenders.

I read about the Activators today...sound interesting...where could I find a P/J set used? They seem expensive new.