fender tortoise pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Domokun, Feb 6, 2005.

1. currently i own an american jazz bass with a white pickguard (10 screws) and i´d like to replace it with a genuine
    62 fender tortoise pickguard (11screws) to get that vintage feel :smug:

will i have to drill another hole into the body in order to mount the missing screw to the pickguard? and if yes, where can i order the required screws?

thx for replies ...
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes, and there's no assurance that the existing ten holes in the body will properly align with ten of the holes in the scratchplate.

(How do you like that "scratchplate", British style?)
  3. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I have found that switching pickguards is always a shot in the dark. Sometimes the holes line up, sometimes they don't. I ordered a set of pickguard screws from Bass Parts Resource (basspartsresource.com). I could be wrong, but doesn't the '62 reissue guard also have holes drilled for the thumb rest? I know the '62 reissue guard I bought for my P-bass does. If it does, while you don't have to drill the holes out for a thumbrest, they will still be visible on the pickguard. Just some things to think about....
  4. So... you're going to put a 40+ year old pick guard on a relatively new bass? For what?

Where's the rest of the 40+ year old instrument?

A few years ago it was a "cool" thing to get reissue instruments and rape vintage pieces for parts to put on the reissues. It didn't make any sense to me then, and even less now.

The "vintage feel" (for me, at least) is in the wood and the finish-

Maybe I'm just bitter because I have a '65 with a repro pick guard because the original disappeared long before I owned the bass.
  5. it´s a 4-ply pickguard giving you a different feel while playing.ever tried to play without a pickguard , it feels strange :meh:
  6. Look here: http://www.terraplinguitars.com I bought mine fmo that page and its ok. Youll find lots of different models so Im sure youll find soemthing that fits your bass.