Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Truss Rod

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Feb 20, 2001.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Does anyone know what size allen wrench will adjust the standard Fender truss rod? I know all Fender rods are the same because I've used the one from a Strat on my Jazz Bass.

Anyway, I lost mine, and need a new one, and was wondering if you can get them from Fender? If not I'll have to order one from StewMac, in which case I need to know the size, because apparantly there are two different sizes available.

Mmm... neck adjustment...

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    3/16"
    Sears sells allen wrenches too.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Are you sure, Mike? No offense or anything, but I was just looking around on the Fender Mr. Gearhead tech stuff, and in their parts catalog, they were selling truss rod wrenches (for $20, that's ludicrous!) and they were 1/4. That's the only size they offered, so I'm assuming that's what all Fenders are... Does anyone else know?

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The allen wrench that came with my Fender Am. Dlx. Jazz 5 is long with a "T" shaped handle and it has 3/16 printed on the handle.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'll never doubt you again, Mike. Thanks, guys.

Mmm.. Allen Wrench... 58 cents at ToolsPlus.com...

6. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I know this thread is old but I am having a problem. All my Fender's and basses so far have had the same size allen wrench needed for the truss rod, but my newest Fender has a smaller size. It's a Fender Deluxe QMT Jazz bass and it's Made in Korea. Anyone know what size these have?