Fender Tube Amp Woes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, Feb 28, 2005.

1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Hello venerable TB'ers,

I have a dilemma. About 9 months ago I bought a Fender Bassman 70 (with the Ultra Linear output section). I bought is modified though. I was told that the amp had been "blackfaced" and I can see that a choke has beend added to accomodate the 6550 tube change. I take black-facing as decreasing headroom - however the amp ran fine and all was good. Until... I started playing with a band. then the amp just couldn't hold up anymore. I was using a 410 at the time and I was wondering if the cab is the critical flaw. Iwas also using a Berg NV610 which sounded great. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to play in the band situation with it because I started to get some serious crackle and farting (at certain notes especially low notes). I really really want to keep this head, but since I basically dime it - I wonder if i'm beating the **** out of it for a volume level that I may never get. I do also have an Avalon U5 which I adore.
    So How can I improve my stage volume with a 100watt (possible, I don't know the 6550 pair runs at now though) tube head, since I'll send the rest of the signal FOH via my U5.

All in all it really is a killer setup my Dirnt P-bass into the fender bassman 70 into what could be a bergie nv610 or at least a 1-15. I just need more volume - you can keep your headroom :)

Thank you

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Look for a Fender Bassman 135 on ebay. Same amp, but double the power.

3. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    That'll only give you 3dB more on a good day.

Once assured that the amp and tubes aren't beat, a more effecient speaker should get you what you are after. It did for me. I use a 2x6L6 amp (might make 50W) with 106dB/W/m speakers. The volume control hangs around 10:00 for practice (haven't gigged it yet). Electric blues in a live room-not overly loud, but I've got plenty of headroom now.

4. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    If I'm not mistaken a stock VB-4 is 100watts. Also the Hiwatt DR103 is a 100 watt amp. Both amps are known for their overdrive, which I am into. But what about volume? specifically stage volume. Anyone have great experiences with loud rock bands and a Vb-4 through an 810? or is there a point where my 100watt tube amp (from a pair of 6550s - 100watts if i'm lucky) just can't get any louder? Anyone know of a great speaker combo for a relatively low wattage tube amp? I am aware of the Berg NV series and of course the Ampeg stuff but anything else - a 15" that I am really gunning for is the Eminence B15 which has a relatively high sensitivity. So maybe what I am really asking is what's the loudest most efficient cab or cab combination I can get for this head? Thanks

5. Ben Clarke

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    I use the DR250a and Tuba24. More info can be found at www.billfitzmaurice.com

I can recommend a builder if you're interested. He did a great job on mine. They'd go loud and crazy low.

Where are you located?

6. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I am in New York City. I've read about the Tuba24. My only concern is portability - but if all I need is one and it won't rattle the crap out of my bassman - that just may be worthwhile. Hmmm. Now you really have me thinking. but you said you're running a dr203 so you've got a 200watt amp whihc probably helps to provide headroom for the lows not to mention the huge partridge trannys in that amp. I have big transformers in the fender bassman 70 but not as big as the Hiwatt. but still if the tuba can give me a somewhat wide frequency response about 40 to 4Kand a ton of SPL for the given watts then sign me up.

7. Ben Clarke

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    The guy that built my speakers is in Rhode Island, so shipping wouldn't be too bad to the city. I don't have a dr203, the DR250a is the speaker that handles from 100Hz on up for me. It's on Bill's site, too. I'm using the amp section from my old Ampeg B-15N.

The Tuba24 is really great down to about 30Hz. The response on the B string of my StingRay5 is very even all the way down. It's not flat down to 30Hz, but I don't find it necessary, and it sounds great.

However, the Tuba24 won't really do much for you above 100Hz. It's really intended as a subwoofer to complement another box. Bill recommends (and uses) the DR250a. If you're looking for a single box solution, the DR250a would be a better choice. It can be tuned to get you low, but obviously not as low as the 250a and Tuba24 together.

The Tuba24 is a bit awkward to get around tight corners & through small doors, but it's pretty light. Think of a newer 25-27" TV, but deeper. The 250a is super light.

If you give up, sell me your Fender!