Fender tuners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KingOfAmps, Dec 8, 2003.

1. I'm just talking about Fenders on this one.

I'm mostly familiar with the tuner that mounts with 4 small screws and has an exposed gear.

Lately, on newer Fenders, in stores I see a tuner that mounts with (I think) just one large screw. The gear is covered.

When did this happen? Which is considered better and why?

BTW, the newer bass is an American made Fender.
  2. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i don't know, but the tuners on my '98 p-bass are buzzing. i took two of them apart and put 'em back together to no avail. i guess maybe it's one of the other two. it only buzzes are C#, D, and D#. it's really irritating.
  3. These are the best in my book. You can get them from Schaller. They do not rattled and they replace the Fender pegs with out drilling. (The older ones I should say.)

4. TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    Treena, why don't you like the Ultralite kind? I've heard most people raving about them, so I'm curious about your take.
  5. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    I have a 2000 american p bass and the tuners are great. i showed up an hour late to practice last night i was able to plug my bass in (which had been in it's case all week through several weather changes) and start playing right away without even having to worry about my bass being in tune.
  6. Well, I have them on my Fender Jazz 5 string and they just do not feel as solid to me as the older style. I actually have not had any problems with the new Ultralite's, I'm just a creature of Habit.

They look like this.

7. the big fender E tuner likes to detune itself in my gig bag..every time...
    i think the modern gearing is better so long as you keep the front iconery in the elephant ears...
    the really small type ie schallers would look sissy on a fender..:)
    i have had them on other basses and their advantage is you can tighten up the friction washers to stop inadvertant movement..and the gear is enclosed..:cool:
  8. I actually love those. They seem to be tighter than the big Fender cloverleafs, but I haven't had much experience with the big kind (only the ones on my Squier, which are pretty cheap I assume).
  9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I'm not a fan of those either. They hold in place up front with a 3/4" hex nut, but have two plastic pegs in back (that stick into the back of the headstock) instead of the four screws. I've had two of these tuners where the el cheapo plastic pegs broke off, and the tuner can no longer hold the string in tune, cause the tuner will rotate on the headstock, and the string will lose tension. Complete crap, imo.
  10. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I haven't broken any yet but I feel the same way about the Fender Ultra Light tuners..very chinzy.

I'm a big fan of the Hipshot Ultralights that Treena posted. They don't have the old school aesthetic of the traditional style (at least from the back of the headstock) but the gear ratio, the feel and most of all the weight makes them my favorite tuner.

They transformed one of my P's that was neck heavy into a all night player and there's no back ache to content w/ the next day.
  11. marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    I had figured that the black part of the AD bass tuners were actually some sort of alloy as opposed to plastic. The black part seems to be sort of cool to the touch. I suppose they could be some sort of nylon.

As for the cloverleafs, I am not sure of their composition - I'm afraid that if I use a string winder that they will be cosmetically damaged. Has anyone used a winder on these tuners without cosmetic damage?