1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Tuning Key Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mikhail1, May 11, 2011.

1. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

Apr 8, 2008
    I have a Fender MIM Precision and noticed today that I kept having to tune the E string up. When I checked the tuner, I noticed two things; the tuner was loose and there was a piece of black plastic sticking out from under the gear. I found out this was some type of shim that goes around the shaft and under the worm gear and of course its broken. I' ve searched the web and can't find anything about this. Can anyone tell me where I can find, or make, a replacement and if its even necessary? I never saw these on older Fender's and it's got me baffled.

2. jrfrond

jrfrond

Jul 11, 2006
    NYC
    Tech Director, dBm Pro Audio Services, New York
    The shim washer is there to make a very mediocre tuner feel better by taking up the slop.

You might be able to find a thin plastic washer at a well-stocked hardware store (you know, where they have that long aisle of pull-out hardware bins with all kinds of oddball stuff). Or, if you REALLY like your bass and want to stay in tune, get these:

HB7 Tuning Machine > Store > Hipshot Products

This is the REAL solution for the crappy tuners on budget Fender and Squier basses. Been there, done that. Got new machines. You should too. You won't regret it.

3. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

Apr 8, 2008
    That what I was thinking, a shim to tighten things up. Well, I' ve been toying with adding a Hipshot drop d tuner so the bass gods must be pushing me in that direction. Thanks for the help!