Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender U.S. '75 RI or Japan '75 RI?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ostinato, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    What would you do if you had a Fender '70s Jazz Bass Limited Edition in LPB with a skinny neck you didn't care for and you could either trade up for full credit ($1200 US)toward a new American Vintage '75 Jazz Bass, or you could sell it on ebay for less and get a Fender Japan Jazz in a great looking colour of your choice? You also have a Hipshot "A" style bridge and a set of Fender '60's CS pu's on the way.

What would you do?

2. If you can sell it on ebay for around 800 or so and don't mind making up the extra cash, I would strongly reccomend getting a fender Japan from something like guitargai or one of those. The fender Japans that get sold over here are OK, but if you could get a fender Japan that gets sold in Japan, they sound AMAZING. They're also quite consistent with the construction, so you would be hard pressed to find one that sounded like butt.

3. Well Ostinato, I can't really help you make a decision, BUT I can tell you that I just got a cij '75ri from Guitargai on ebay and I am really happy with both the bass and Guitargai. It arrived quickly and the packing job was awesome! The bass is beautiful, well made (better than the 2 geddy lee's I have played, except for the bridge) and sounds great! There is another dealer on ebay (apollon-satay2004) that looks to be reliable. They ship direct from japan and have a good selection. I would suggest that you do your homework on any international import duties or taxes and factor that into your decision if you go the ebay route.

P.S. just wondering how much those 60's CS pu's set you back

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    what i would is keep the limited addition bass, and just sell something else.

5. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    They cost around $200 Canadian...ouch. I had plans to pop them in the LPB, but as I stated, the neck profile is just a bit too thin for my tastes. I personally prefer the sustain on the original chunky '70's necks. Anyway, the CIJ I have my eyes on is in a great looking vintage colour that I've never seen on a '75 RI (I won't tell you because there'e only two left :smug: )

It's either put my pickups to good use on a CIJ, or get a US version by way of an even trade-up of my 70's LPB.

6. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    U.S. Vintage, get the cs60's put in when you can. Try and find a nicely grained body if you're going for the ash/maple.

7. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I've owned both the MIJ '75 Jazz Reissue and the MIA '75 Jazz Reissue. Both were maple neck, block inlays (white on the MIJ, black on the MIA), and natural ash bodies.

Here's my STRONG recommendation: play the bass before you buy it!

There are HUGE variations in feel and quality of these basses. The MIJ, for $300, killed the MIA in terms of sound and feel, but it wasn't as sturdy. The MIA just sounded "okay" to me. I bought it sight unseen after playing a friend's MIA 75 Jazz RI that KILLED. There's just no rhyme or reason to which ones rule and which ones are pedestrian--and Ebay is chock full of the ones without any mojo.

Just my $0.02

8. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    I'm confused. If the problem with the LPB RI is the neck profile, you're not going to like it any better on any of the other MIA 75RIs. The MIJ neck profile is very similar if not a tad flatter.

There's various minor differences between the MIA and MIJ, but the biggest one for me was the bridge pup placement and the slightly larger body on the MIJ. If these are not that important to you, I think you would not miss much with the MIJ, as long as shipping and duties don't kill you.

9. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    toad, the 70's Limited Editions definitely seem to have slimmer necks, I'm pretty sure of it. The Fender Japan necks are much closer to the originals (to my hands anyway). It's all a matter of taste. :)

10. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I'd like to hear from someone who has ordered out of Japan, what the tax and duty charge came to. Such as an Ishibashi purchase.

11. I ordered a PB70-70US from Ishibashi. All I paid was the price of the bass and shipping. Koichi from Ishibashi was very helpful. I received the bass in only 3 days from Japan to Nashville, TN. I highly recommend them. The only downside is the exchange rate from Yen to Dollars is pretty crappy compared to when I ordered mine.

Craig

12. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I emailed Ishibashi to find out how they do things over there. VERY DIFFERENT from what I'm used to in Canada. I just told them politely that I've been playing Fenders for 20 years, very picky about what I like, and that I was very nervous about ordering a bass I haven't seen or played beforehand; but I was re-assured that every bass is thouroughly QC'd before shipping, if even the slightest fault is found with a customer's bass, they find a replacement before it leaves for shipping.

We could really learn a lot from the way business is done in Japan.

13. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    The decision has been made :hyper:

I just closed the deal on one of these, Ishibashi of course. The colour is "Off White Blond"....man...I love the colour! What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

14. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Nice choice, be sure to post pics of the actual bass as soon as you get it! Those off/cream/vintage whites/blondes are at the top of my fave finish list.

15. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    My experience is the opposite with the MIJ 75RI. I really felt the MIJ necks were skinnier than the MIA 75RI...and the japan necks are no where near what the real 70's necks is.

I honestly think you won't like the feel of the japan bass.

16. There's MIJ, then there's CIJ.

I A/B'd the MIA with the CIJ, and walked out with the CIJ, and a lil extra dosh in my pocket.

17. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Craig, Since you and I are probably in the same shipping region can you tell me what shipping alone cost you? In either yen or dollars.

18. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Shipping to North America was $130 US.

19. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Did they (Ishibashi) simply take a Credit Card number from you online or did you have to wire money to them ?

20. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I paid by credit card. When I decided to buy, they emailed me instructions about what do to, and they gave me a link to a secure site for the credit card number. You can also pay by bankwire, but there's a 3000 yen fee, and I think your bank will charge you too.

email:

web-shop@ishibashi.co.jp