Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender UK Imports

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by red-hot-bassist, Aug 25, 2004.

1. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    now, instead of just having a straightforward moan about everything in this country costs a fortune i reckon we should all try to pull our resources and let each other know if we know of any importers from US or Canada or even elsewhere that can ship us basses.

i have just returned from a holiday in toronto canada where i was shocked to see that the prices of many basses which i thought were out of my reach financialy in the uk, were the exact same price in dollars as we have in pounds!!

this is making me pretty raging, but unfortunately, its not practical to get a music store to ship one over for you as the shipping can be around 250. and then we would have to pay customs on top of that.

i know that fender do put restrictions on some of there retailers as to where they are allowed to distribute to but if anyone has any ideas about how this can be done a good whack cheaper then, please, pass em my way and ill check em out.

...otherwise i am goana have to sell me eggs or summat to get a new bass......

cheers chooks!

Lins

2. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    i've bought 4 basses from USA this year and last from private sellers (better value and i prefer older basses) - a fender custom shop 64 jazz, a fender jaco signature fretless, a gibson thunderbird and a G & L 2500.

the maximum shipping (on the t bird because in its case its much bigger than the fenders) was $175 and import duty and vat together are about 22% of the cost

results - i got the CS for about £1000, the jaco for about £800, the t bird for £730 and the G & L for £525 - these are the total costs including shipping, duty and vat - all with case and all in better condition than we British seem to be able to keep our basses.

have a go and buy one - but remember the shipping will be the same regardless of the cost of the bass so get something decent

hope this helps

3. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi,

USPS, www.usps.com, seems to be the cheapest way to ship packages of this size etc.

E.g. USA -> Denmark (Europe) 80$
    That's deliv. within 10 days and with insurance.

4. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    cheers henrik.

that might be a better option rather that let a private music store ship it for me.

when you say private sellers, are you meaning like ebay?

Lins

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I just helped out a friend in the UK with this. Fender dealers here aren't supposed to ship new guitars to the UK.
    So he got a retailer to ship it to me, and I then sent it onto him.
    USPS regular airmail from NY to Derby cost $85.
    2-3 day FedEx would have cost around $150.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Then remember that customs is calculated like this:

Instrument value
    + Shipping Costs
    + 3% import duty
    + 17.5 VAT
    = Total Price payable.

Example:

Bass = $1000