Fender Ultra Precision Bass Neck on a Player Body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sixstringsensei, Jul 29, 2023.

1. sixstringsensei

sixstringsensei

Feb 21, 2023
    I was over on FB on a P-Bass group and I go conflicting reports about this one.

Does a Fender Ultra P-Bass neck fit on a Player Series body?

Some guys were saying the bridge would have to be adjusted because the Ultra neck has 21 frets instead of 20. But over on Strats and Teles, the 21 and 22 frets necks are the same. The 22 fret neck simply have a longer overhang where it meets the body to add that extra fret. But who knows? Maybe the bridge on the Ultra basses is actually moved upwards to allow for a longer neck and keep the scale length the same?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  2. If there's no overhang it won't work, and I don't believe there is.

3. sixstringsensei

sixstringsensei

Feb 21, 2023
    Interesting. Sounds like it's possible the bridge position is different on the Ultras then. I'll wait for more replies. Maybe someone else has tried exactly this.

4. Actually, I think the neck is sunk deeper into the body.

ComicBass likes this.
  5. sixstringsensei

sixstringsensei

Feb 21, 2023
    Ohhhhhhhhh. That makes a lot of sense too. No need to move the bridge if the neck is sunken deeper into the body. In that case it REALLY won't fit most of the P-Bass bodies.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  6. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Gold Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Oregon Coast
    Looking at close up pics of both basses, it appears that is the case. Depending on how much travel you have with saddles it just may work. Otherwise, you will need to reposition the bridge a little.

7. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    I have standard Jazz Basses as well as an Ultra Jazz, I can say with certainty that the Ultra Jazz neck will NOT install onto a standard Jazz Bass body without compensating for the difference somewhere (bridge). It appears to be about 3/8" difference.

gg22, sixstringsensei and FRoss6788 like this.
  8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I managed to pull off the inverse to this trick, installing a 20-fret neck onto a Fender Dimension body built for a 21-fret. The thing is, I really lucked out. I thought I'd have to reposition the bridge, but before I started drilling, I tried out this new bridge that had very long intonation tracks. As it turns out, they were long enough to compensate for the missing fret, so no fuss...no muss.

Brass Bass Bridge-Jazz Or Precision-Vintage Mount-No Mods Required-Perfect Fit | Reverb
    Unveiling VII: 2-Dimension Projekt
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, I don't know of any bridge that could extend the intonation far enough forward to pull that off. In pairing a 21-fret neck to a body built for a 20-fret, one would likely have to move the bridge towards the neck OR expand the neck pocket. Obviously, the former is the easier choice, but I can't help but wonder if that change the sound a bit, like how the '70s-era Jazz pickup placement has a slight tonal impact.

9. Nebadon2000

Nebadon2000 Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Moyock, North Carolina
    The 5 bolt Ultra doesn't make a difference?

10. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    I have a 2017 broken jazz body I'm repairing.. but the neck pocket is to deep for a standard neck.. and the standard pickguard don't fit either.. as soon as I get a new job I'm going to find a neck and pickguard