1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Unlined Fretless Necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matthew_84, Aug 19, 2012.

1. How come Fender doesn't seem to make these any more? I've seen many stock Fender unlined fretless necks, using different woods, on different style basses, but they are only on older, used basses. The only current model available is the Tony Franklin sig, and I'm not too fond of PJ configs on a passive bass.

I know they're not hugely popular, but I think that they should be optional on any model, same as a lined fretless board, or am I just crazy?

2. E_strat

E_strat

Jan 11, 2012
    I can't answer your question, but you're definitely not crazy.

3. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I am guessing that unlined necks will primarily sell to experienced fretless players whereas beginners will favor lined necks. Fretless necks are already a less popular offering so it probably makes sense to sell only lined necks. I wish you could get a fretless neck, lined or unlined, on any of their basses but I'm not holding my breath waiting for Fender or anyone else to offer configuration options on their products the way automobile companies do. If you ask Fender about this (as I have) they will tell you that they already license Mighty Mite, et al, to sell fretless necks to their specs. It seems that as far as they are concerned this is good enough. I wish it were different but it is what it is and I have a Mighty Mite neck on order for one of my basses....

Ken

4. I do have a Mighty Mite unlined neck on one of my Squiers and it is great. I actually really like the neck a lot and have no issue with Mighty Mite necks at all, and it looks like I may have to order another one.

I have a 2000 American Fender P, and anytime I upgrade/fix something on it, I make sure that it's a Fender made part to keep it a 100% Fender. I would really love a Fender made neck to go onto it, but since they are so hard to find, I likely won't go that route.

It just completely escapes me that this isn't an option. I know I can walk into a Fender dealer near me, ask if they have a Tony Franklin bass available, and if they say no. I can order one, in whatever colour Fender offers and I will get it sooner or later. I understand the stores not stocking 50% fretless models, but it would be nice if I could get the Fender I wanted without having to go through the Custom Shop.