Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Urge II or MM Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Josh Raines, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Hi I am just wondering what you would chose out of theses two basses? I can get them for the same price around $1500-$1600 AUD used.

2. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    stingray

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I've owned fenders and i've owned musicman and all i now play is musicman. There is no comparison in quality and sound in my experience. I would never ever again drop that kind of money on a fender.

4. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    for the people that have owned an Urge bass...

Do they sound exactly like a Precision and a Jazz?
    Can you consider it to be 2 basses in one?

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It sounds like none of them.
    Many knobs and pickups but barely any good tone IMHO.

6. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    +1 and then some

7. Teh_GoAT

Teh_GoAT

Apr 25, 2004
    In my opinion, the stingray looks far superior to any fender. I just love the body shape/style.

But yeah, it sounds awesome too.

8. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Thats a tough one, they are so different in sound. What kind of music do you play most? Have you been able to try both of them to see how they fit ( balance, comfort, right and left hand positions etc.). I personally like them both but would probably buy the Urge because the MM is uncomfortable for me.

9. BasStefan

BasStefan Guest

i've played my friends Stu Hamm Urge I (the older version) and its one of the easiest playing basses i've ever played.

10. +1
    I have an Urge 1 & kicks major a$$. It has a great tone & action.
    I also own 3 Sterlings & a Bongo & it is compliments them & gives me a unique sound that none of Musicmans do.
    I just sold a Stingray to get a Sterling because I didn't play it much...the bigger neck & body were the main causes.
    Although I've yet to play one, I'd go with the Urge bass just for the fact I know it has a slimmer neck and smaller body.....If my other choice were a Sterling & I didn't already have one I'd go that rout definitely.

11. i really like the urge II. i really like the p and j pups in one bass...i'd love to have a black with tortoiseshell pickguard on it!

12. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    for this time,am not a Urge fan,excuseme lovely Fenders,between this two i pick the StingRay, :cool:

13. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Urge I and II are different beasts really... well, the I has a short scale neck and some differing elex right?

14. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Way too far apart to make a call..you need to zero in a bit more to what you want first before you buy anything I'd say.

Apples & Oranges apart.

15. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Id prefer the ray, but that would be more suited to what i play.

The urge has more versatility.

But yes it pretty much is apples and oranges as dude pointed out!

16. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    To basically repeat what's been said a few times already, both basses are solid enough that you can't go wrong, and different enough that you can't really compare them. You will really need to play both and go off your gut feeling of what YOU like better. The Stingray is a great bass (I own one) but really distinctive-sounding, you may not like the sound it gives you.

17. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    When the Urge basses first came out, I lept at the chance to play one. What a cool concept, I thought!

Didn't like it at ALL.

Then when the regular scale Urges appeared, I thought - well, maybe it was the scale I didn't care for. Tried another one - same reaction.

Kind of like - ho hum.

Now Stingrays, I like those.

But yeah - completely different animals.

18. I have an Urge I bass, I've had it for 10+yrs, its by far the fastest easist playing bass I've ever touched. I also played an UrgeII, it was also good.
    However the electronics are compromises IMO. You don't get authentic P or J tones out of them. You'll find useful workable tones, but not like playing a P bass or a J bass. To quote a reviewer "you hear the lectronics, not the wood"
    Like Dude says-apples and carrots

19. Yes...an Urge I is a 32" scale while an Urge II is the std. 34". Like I said earlier I own 4 MMs & love them...my Urge I is just a different animal & gives me something different to work with & I love the sound & feel of it. Maybe it's not for everybody BUT it is THE nicest Fender I've ever played.......and I've tried the more expensive Fenders including the Jaco Jazz Relic(waaaaaaay overpriced).
    This is my opinion & while I know some people may not agree, it is really an excellent bass....and if Stu endorses & plays them, they must be that good because Stu Rocks!!

20. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I've had my Urge II since February. Like my lovely wife of 26 years, I can't seem to keep my hands off of it! ;) I've read, and even heard the comments that this axe is all electronics... no wood... etc... Well, I believe I can concede some truth there, but I know I can achieve wonderfully pleasing tones out of this instrument... even if they are "electronic." What truly sold me on this bass was how easy and fast it plays.

I did buy a slightly used Ray w/Piezo, but returned it. No real knock on the Ray, as it is, indeed, a fine axe. It is pretty heavy, though. I returned it 'cuz the store owner said he could get me a Marshall VBA 400 at $100 more than what I paid him for the Ray... plus FREE SHIPPING to Hawaii. I just had to have the all-tube head, so we made a trade.

I'm thinking of special ordering a Ray from this store- one without Piezo, though, but one with the color scheme that would suit me... White w/maple (fretted) neck & matching headstock; white pearloid pick-guard. :bassist: