1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Urge Problem !

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jackotheclown, May 1, 2006.

1. Hello fellow TBers

About a week ago I was playing my beautiful Fender Urge and it starting buzzing, I thought it might be the battery or the lead etc, so i changed them and the noise persisted!

I plugged in another bass the noised stopped so it cant be my amp!

I then took it my local guitar shop they plugged it in.. it stopped buzzing ! They told me to turn of all electrical appliances etc.. I swear i have tried everthing, it must be the bass.

I am only 16 and have quite poor knowledge when it comes to things like this, is there anyone who might have an idea of what the problem is and what to do about it?

Please help I would be very grateful!

- Jacko

2. youre probably getting elecrtical interfearance. is it a hum or a buzz(like something sounds loose) if its humming, you can search for how to shield your bass, if not idk

3. Ah rite,

Excuse my ignorance but whats a bass shield, also i forgot to mention that the noise stops when I touch the strings but goes louder when I touch the controls ?! :help:

Thanks - Jacko

4. ejm customs

ejm customs

Apr 27, 2006
    Sounds to me like you lost the ground somewhere. Bridge? Output jack? T and V controls? It's all got to be grounded or you get the buzz.

5. So how do I go about grounding my bass, can I have a crack myself or take it to a guitar shop !?? :confused:

Thanks - Jacko

6. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Does the buzz go away if you touch the plug where it goes into the bass, but not go away when you touch the strings or bridge?
    If so it sounds like you may have a ground wire off, but if you get a reduction in buzz both ways compared to when you're not touching anything then your problem lies elsewhere.

7. I get a reduction in buzzing when I touch near enough everwhere for example, Tuning pegs, bridge, strings, controls and the Jack port !!!

8. ejm customs

ejm customs

Apr 27, 2006
    Do you have any soldering knowledge/skills? The ground is the wire that connects everything metal (pickups, strings, electronics, etc.) to our fine planet earth. If you have the skills you can simply solder a new ground from the jack to the control pots and up to the bridge. Just follow what was already there. If you don't trust yourself with an iron, anybody with skill the art of soldering fine electronics and common sense enough to just replace what was there should be able to get the job done. I'm not by any means an expert on this issue, but when you touch the strings you become the ground, hence the silence. It is this reason exactly that I am a firm believer in the EMG DCs, CSs (the extended series humbuckers) that do not require string grounding. You'll never get zapped on the lips when you're singing and they sound dern good to boot.

9. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    If you have to ask, take it to a shop! (learned the hard way.)

10. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    He's getting a reduction in buzzing when he touches any metal parts which indicates that the ground is connected.

Does it make any difference if you turn around with the bass?

11. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Unless the Urge schematic that I looked up on the web is incorrect, the urge bridge is not grounded as it comes from the factory.

I don't know what effect grounding the bridge might have on the bass.

In fact most active pups don't require a bridge ground.

It's pretty important to know whether the noise is AC hum or RF interference in order to attempt to diagnose the problem.

If it's an AC hum there are at least four possible common causes. One is improper grounding. Another is a ground loop, with the third being ineffective shielding. A fourth possibility is a "dirty" power line.

Diy tests are pretty limited unless you have access to, and the knowledge to use it, at least a minimum amount of test equiptment. A multimeter is a must but when working with an active setup it is imperative that the ohm meter part be suitable for solid state testing. An old Simpson 260 or a tripplet uses a test voltage that is high enough to damage some solid state devices.

The first thing that I would suggest would be to determine if the noise is AC interference or RF interference.

If it's AC related the noise will be a low pitched hum that is similar in sound to the dial tone on a telephone. If it's RF related it will sound more like a "swishing' sound, sort of like the background ocean noise on the beach.

If the noise is AC related, simply turn the face of the bass in different directions and see if there is a large difference in the noise volume while facing different directions. The closer that the bass is to the source of interference, the louder the noise volume will be.

If the noise is the same regardless of orientation, chances are that it's coming in through the power line. The only simple test is to try another power source in another location. The other location should be completely removed from where the problem occurs. Preferably on an AC source that's not on the same power line transformer.

If everything points to a dirty line, a power line conditioner may be simpler than trying to get the AC line cleaned up. Not a bad practice even if it doesn't correct your immediate problem.

If the noise does change with orientation, the prob could be faulty shielding, an unbalanced setting of the humbucker pups, unbalanced pups due to one of the pups being weaker than the other, or simply an appliance that is generating interference.

If the problem goes away in another location the cause of the problem is probably not in the bass and will have to be dealt with at the source.

If the noise is RF interference, save yourself a lot of time and find a good electronics tech to fix the problem. Remember that if RF interference follows the bass when you try another location that the noise is being generated by the bass itself. If the RF noise goes away at another location, the prob is that something in your home creating the interference. Not likely to be a passive appliance like a stove or refrigerator. More likely to be a TV, computer or electronic device of some sort.

I realize that my answer may sound overly complicated but finding the solution to your prob can very well become VERY complicated.

12. I also have the Urge, mexico brand, picked it up here in Viet Nam at a non-Fender shop. There are no Fender shops. Mine came with the buzzing noise, but it was 350 bucks, so I wasn't complaining. I know a little about fixing electrics on cars, so figured it wasn't going to be much more difficult than that. I opened it up and the first thing I noticed, without having the English size 1/16th or whatever allen wrench to get the knobs off and get the board out, was that there was a little stump of black wire sticking out of a soldering point. Now, I've had enough beater cars to know that that's usually a sign of someone eliminating a problem by eliminating the thing that has the problem, not fixing it, like a light that won't shut off. Got that wiring diagram from fender, and sure enough, there's supposed to be a wire going from the plug to the two pots. Just putting a wire in there and holding it in place eliminates 85 percent of my buzzing noise, but damn, if Fender didn't show some weird picture on the diagram. Looks like it's supposed to just plug into the side of the pots, those two big round silver things, but there isn't anything that would have ever been a solder point on mine. So, I figure it just solders to the board. Waiting for a confirmation from fender customer service, and I'll let you know. If you got yours fixed, how did they get rid of that other 15% buzzing? that's what I want to know.

13. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    IMO, it would be best for you to take it to a shop.

14. epy

epy

Jun 15, 2006
    thats a wierd little problem.....if u had some electrical background id say check the grounding in the bass perhaps...but bring it to the shop.