1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender US Deluxe V with Sadowsky preamp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by baxter_x, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Great imporvment, you'll never look back

25 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. It won't change a thing you might regret it

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Hi,

I tried for the first time a Sadowsky last weekend. Yes, obviously it was awesome. What impressed me the most was the B string.
    However, I don't really feel like I'm ready to buy one yet as I need more reflection and take my time. My two main axes are 2 Fender US Precision Deluxe V. One from 2000 and the other one from 2002. So I thought about installing in both my Fenders the Sadowsky preamp. I've seen some threads on the board about this modification, and all of those who did it never came back to the stock Fender preamp. So is the Sadowsky preamp worth it? Am I right to consider this modification?

My basses:
    2016-09-10%2010.47.42.jpg

ExaltBass and Gospel Bass Player like this.
  2. ale29

ale29

May 25, 2008
    Italy
    The sadowsky preamp is great and will come handy for sure. I'd just bypass the active Fender electronics, wire those basses passive and buy the stompbox versione of the Sadoswky pre. You also gain a DI this way, and can use it with any other bass, present or future.
    That being said, even after your purchase, your Fenders won't sound or feel like a Sadowsky, but they'll sound and feel like Fenders passing through a Sadowsky pre...
    I say this because, to me, the feel of a Sadowsky neck is something almost unique, and I really like it.

lazycat93, Mr_O'B, DavC and 1 other person like this.
  3. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I think you will like the result quite a lot. Because of pickup differences, it will not sound completely like a Sadowsky, but in my opinion, you will gain some serious punch in the right frequency areas to sit beautifully in a mix. I've heard the P deluxes in live mixes and thought while they sound very good, it definitely doesnt sound as nice as my P's going through a Sadowsky DI. In order to go through an outboard DI bypassing the onboard pre, can you simply remove the battery from the P deluxe, or do you have to rewire?

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I've haven't heard many good things about the stock Fender preamps.
    I really like the Sadowsky pre. I've had a couple of NYC's and I have the pedal version for other basses.
    As for pedal vs. onboard, you'll gain the DI function on the pedal but you lose VTC if that's something you want.

bucephylus likes this.
  5. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    I use the DI of My Titan V12. So I don't any other DI. Also, do not want any external devices. I prefer it way more included in my basses. It's simpler onstage

That's exactly my point! Sitting in the mix. However I have to say my Fenders do it very correctly already.

Rewire

To me they are pretty good. But There is something in the Sad preamp that I like very much.

Also, I found the B string to be very impressive on the Sadowsky. Will the preamp improve it?

6. ale29

ale29

May 25, 2008
    Italy
    It may improve its tone some, yeah. Boosting the bass a bit on the Sadowsky electronics gives some serious punch to those notes.
    If you don't want the external electronics, I'd consider swapping the onboard preamp on one of your Fenders first, leaving the other one temporarily stock (these preamps don't come cheap), unless you really need to have two virtual clone basses.
    Save a couple of $$, give it a try for some time, compare them, think if you'd like to eventually get the real thing

madjazzbass, Nomogram and Dr. Cheese like this.
  7. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    THAT is actually why I own two of the same basses ;)

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    American Deluxe Precision fives are really sweet basses that are kind of rare. If you sell one, it get you a long ways towards a used Sadowsky Metro, just a thought.

bgartist, InhumanResource and Joebone like this.
  9. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Sorry I didn't really get what you were saying ;)
    Is it worth to sell one of my Fenders for a Sadowsky?

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Sorry for being unclear. I suggested selling one of your ADPVs to help pay for a Sadowsky since the basses you already have are rare and desirable. Whether buying a Sadowsky is worth selling one of your Fenders is a question only you can answer.

11. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Ok! It's exactly what I planned to do, but the history I have with my Fenders is so strong that I can't let them go.
    I put an add yesterday to sell one of them but deleted after a several hours as I couldn't let it go.
    That's why adding the Sad preamp is an in between situation where I keep my Fenders but get closer to the Sadowsky sound. See the trick ? ;)

madjazzbass likes this.
  12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Those basses aren't terrible rare and sell awfully cheap, around $900.

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I do not see many of them, especially compared Jazz Deluxes. They are also discontinued, which means there are no new ones being made. That by itself makes the ADPV a comparatively scarce instrument.

I also have not seen one for sale under $1,000 in years. If you know of people selling them cheap, seriously, please let know how to find them.

14. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I did the same thing. I bought a Mike Lull M5V (which is an outstanding instrument) and had a Lakland 55-01 (for a modding project) being delivered when I dropped into a shop and played my first Sadowsky. It was a Metro Will Lee 5 and it altered my perception of bass. I'm now wondering how many basses I'll have to sell to fund a NY WL5. This is a very real possibility.

So I'd say, don't mod these Fenders. They won't feel or sound like the Sadowsky you're trying to emulate, so don't do it. Instead, play some more Sadowsky's. . . . think about it. . . . play them again. . . . think about it some more. . . . then stop messing about and buy a Sadowsky!

IMO owning 1 great bass is better than owning 2 good ones.

madjazzbass, Nomogram and jimgrinnell like this.
  15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just looked on Reverb and eBay, saw none for sale. A four was $1,229.

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I sold a pair of American Deluxe basses last year and I found many cheap examples of P Deluxes on Ebay when I was looking for a selling price. They often sold in the $8-900 range and seemed to be a pretty good deal. You may get more for the fifth string but I don't think they are in high-demand.

17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Selling used four string Deluxe Jazzes is just not the same thing as selling an ADPV. It is not nearly as common, and costs more.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    OP, back to your original question, I really like Sadowsky preamps, but a preamp will not make your bass a Sadowsky. Last year, I considered buying a Sadowsky or a DJ5. I chose the DJ5, and have not looked back because I felt it was time to make up my mind.

19. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    you could install Sadowsky pups in both ... passive , into Sadowsky outboard pre ...

having had a few of these basses ... i prefer Passive basses/gtrs ... w/ ext pre for all if and when needed ..

i like my pre to have 3 bands ... seems to work a bit better with a variety of pups . ? for me

i really liked and miss 'everything' about my old Sad Metro UV70 ... felt , sounds great ...
    but , i sold it and built 2 Warmoths that feel/sound 80-90% as well .. !
    and now i'm using a wonderful RMI Classic Boost/pre/eq ...

myUV70MW5.jpg

Dr. Cheese and ale29 like this.
  20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Is the bass you built the one in the picture? If so, you have skills!